10 ways to make your old car seem new again

clean everything up, get a new stereo, and new rubber seals are among the ideas popular mechanics gives to revitalize your old clunker

Oddly, almost everything listed is part of regular upkeep-at least for me. Now despite doing all this, our 2000 Caravan left my wife stranded 4 times last year and needed more than $2K in unexpected repairs. The only thing I have not decided to do is to shell out for new struts. Kinda have a hunch after spending the $500 the transmission is going to go out.

I was enjoying the article, right up until it recommended aftermarket air intakes and exhaust systems. How much do you think K&N paid to get mentioned in that article?

Also, the ‘new head unit’ on the stereo is often not a simple thing to do, what with how hard it is to get an old one out, and how integrated they are in the electronics systems (VWs in particular).

Here’s my list:
-Make sure everything is up to date on maintenance from the owners manual
-Change the trans fluid, brake fluid, and coolant if it’s been over 30k miles
-Clean it inside and out
-New wipers
-New high quality tires if they’re close to wear bars (before they show)
-New struts/shocks if any symptoms are present, or at 100k (in most cases)

Skip the intake/exhaust, sound system, and bigger wheels.

Also, the ‘new head unit’ on the stereo is often not a simple thing to do, what with how hard it is to get an old one out, and how integrated they are in the electronics systems (VWs in particular).

Actually new head units are pretty easy these days. (maybe VW’s are a problem). Places like Crutchfield have made things real simple. They have wiring harnesses that plug right into the existing cars wiring for a easy to install application.

We just did that to an '07 Forester, and we had to disassemble half the center console and disconnect part of the HVAC system cabling. Not what I call ‘simple’, compared to the older VWs (DIN swaps) or MUCH older US cars (two nuts on the tuner and volume shafts). But yes, it can be done, and Crutchfield’s a lifesaver.

I installed a new head unit in my 4runner a few weeks ago…Took me a total of 20 minutes…If I did it again…probably take me less then 10. Very very simple job. Looks great and sounds ever better.

Love Crutchfield.

I agree with most of the editorial’s suggestions except for the electronics (why replace the “head” if you’re not interested in the new technology?), the K$N system (bad idea, and could cause problems), and the aftermarket exhaust (most people wanting to spruce up an old car want to get it close to its new condition. They’re not looking to update or ungrade it.

I’d be more apt to replace the factory speakers along with the new head unit

I agree there is nothing like a clean “rust free” car to bring back the newness. You can eliminate body rust for a generation if you stay on top of it with a 20 minute every other year motor or linseed oil treatment. You then have a fighting chance at keeping your car new.