10 people hurt in massive 50-car highway pileup in NH. 20-25 cars had to be towed from I-93 scene

yup

This was on the road between Manchester and Concord NH. Not 93.

Shows my age I guess, but I remember as a kid seeing Renault Dauphine commercials on TV.

I seem to remember those things had wet sleeve engines like a lot of the early/mid 70s Subarus.
A cursed design no matter who is behind it… :frowning:

^
I can recall riding in a Renault Dauphine, and by comparison, a VW beetle seemed like a Cadillac. To say that the structure of the Dauphine was…delicate…is a massive understatement. I don’t think that any of the folks I knew who owned one were able to get more than 3 years of use out of them before they sent them to the junkyard.

Like all of the other foreign manufacturers other than VW, the training for dealership service people was severely lacking, and the parts network was almost non-existent. When your Renault breaks down for the sixth time in one year, and you are told–once again–that it will take a month or more to get parts, it is a very easy decision to junk the thing.

The Renault Dauphine lasted about 3 years, no problems, then someone (not me) rolled it. Next car was an MG 1100.

There is no way of protecting yourself if the road flashes from just wet to black ice. One second 60 mph is just fine and the next second 5 MPH is way too fast. Your only hope is seeing cars way ahead of you spinning. If there is a snow crust or gravel on the shoulder, head for that before you try to slow.

This was a strange one. Pockets of disaster on the way in. Just as oldtimer 11 stated, fine one moment, glare ice the next. Even doing less than 25 and without any notice you’re sideways…