'07 Mazda 3 - Front-end clunk, not control arm

We’re getting ready to sell my wife’s '07 Mazda 3 and of course it has recently (over 2-3 months) developed a fairly loud front-end clunking/knocking noise, which sounds like its closer to the drivers side. It seems to be related to the suspension, as well as the steering as I can replicate by turning steering wheel quickly back and forth.
I’ve checked the control arm and bushings and they’re fine. Tie-rods seem alright. Ive tapped on everything I can see or reach and dont see anything loose or broken. I changed the rear engine mount as it seemed to have play and they frequently go in these cars, but the clunking/knocking persists.
Any tips or suggestions would appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Check for worn sway bar bushings.

Tester

3 Likes

How did you check the tie rod ends and ball joints?

I recently changed the drivers control arm so the bushings are new. I took the wheels off and checked them again anyway for loose bolts etc.

Stabilizer bar links maybe. They would clunk under those conditions.

3 Likes

Yeah you might be on the right track. I replaced the links last year but didnt do the bushings, because it requires dropping the front subframe. Hopefully it’s not too much of a hassle to do without a lift.

Yeah I think it is the sway bar bushings. I replaced the links last year but didnt do the bushings, because it requires dropping the front subframe. Hopefully it’s not too much of a hassle to do without a lift. So much work to replace such a simple part.

You don’t need to answer us individually, we all can see every post even those directed at a specific forum member.

Sway bar rattle is worse in cold weather on my minivan. It’s worse in the first few blocks of driving on poor pavement. It is not dangerous. I have replaced the bushings every few years on that car. On my 1999 Honda I’ve never had the problem, and the bushings are 21 years old.

Yeah well it turns out the sway bar bushings on this 13 year old Mazda3 were also fine. Luckily I didnt have to drop the undercarriage, was able to reach 3 of the 4 bolts with 32 inches of extensions.
Recently replaced control arm w/ bushings, new rear engine mount, new sway bar bushings, …and it’s still clunking.
Open to any and all suggestions…

Strut mounts?

Too bad strut mounts require strut tear down. Don’t buy cheap struts. eBay-Chinese strut=poor ride.

It’s not the strut mounts. Struts/Coilovers are easy to swoap out anyway, and yes more times than not you get what you pay for. -Ebay for car parts??