'05 Jaguar S-Type parking brake issues

I LOVE this car but its push-button electronic parking brake (vs. a manual foot pedal or hand brake) wears out, as would any electric motor, and is difficult to get at for replacement (between the trunk bottom and rear axle I’m told).

The problem seems to have a bit of a cult following on the internet. So, I decided to ask my favorite gear heads if they know of any workaround or trick for replacing it w/out dropping the axle? I can live without a parking brake (It’s an automatic and my driveway is flat). So, I’m OK with disabling it if my dashboard won’t light up like a Christmas tree.

What say you?

I say that you would be foolish to operate the car w/o a functioning parking brake.
The “park pawl” in transmissions have been known to fail, and as a result it is not a good idea to park a car unless the parking brake is engaged. Additionally, even though it would not be very effective as a back-up emergency brake, at least it would provide some braking ability in the event of hydraulic failure.

Because repair/motor replacement will apparently be expensive, I suggest that you put aside a repair fund for this purpose, or that you consider selling the car before repairs become necessary.

I LOVE this car but its push-button electronic parking brake (vs. a manual foot pedal or hand brake) wears out, as would any electric motor

I agree that the simpler design the better…but electric motors are usually very reliable. Several magnitudes more reliable then your car engine. I can show you some electric motors that have been running continuously for decades.

I owned a truck that had an electric parking brake many years ago. It was very simple…you held your foot on the brake then activated the parking relay attached to the master cylinder. It held the pressure on all 4 wheels and was deactivated by the same switch. I’m sure you could find a similar parking brake setup and it seems like it would be a very simple job to install. You need a working parking brake. A quick check on the internet showed several makers for an “E” brake.

I strongly recommend that you follow VDC’s advice and NOT drive the vehicle with the parking brake disabled. Many years ago I totally lost the brakes on a vehicle as I was coming off the highway, and had it not had a parking brake I’d probably be dead.

I’m not sure if you need the module replaced, or the actuator replaced. But as far as I can determine, the replacement procedure (for replacing either the PB control module or the actuator) doesn’t require dropping the axel. The module replacement procedure requires a bunch of trim in the trunk be removed, looks sort of time consuming, but that’s about it. Why do you think the axel needs to be dropped for this job? Suggest you visit a Jag dealership shop and ask them to verify what’s required.

Also there are several recalls and customer interest items on the parking brake for this year/model, suggest you ask about those while at the dealership. Maybe Jag will offer some help to you. Best of luck.

Maybe there is another Jaguar electric parking brake that would work in your car. A more expensive Jag, like an XJ, or a newer generation car might have one that fits and is not as prone to problems. Talk to the parts counter at a Jaguar dealer and see if the tech working the counter can recommend something.

Never use a parking brake with my automatic, am I in the minority? Emergency situation would prefer a working parking brake.

Whether you’re in the minority or not, using a parking brake when parking on an incline is prudent. The parking brake prevents unnecessarily putting a static load on the parking pawl and ending up having it stuck. It also makes shifting out of park easier on the pawl, the subsequent excess wear of which I believe causes problems as the vehicle ages if the parking pawl is relied upon often instead of using the parking brake.

On a hill, I also leave my front wheels turned such that if all else fails the car will roll into the curb, not out into the street… or worse, straight back/ahead and over someone’s child.

Using the parking brake in almost any situation is advisable. I looked out the window one day at work and saw a car had drifted out of its spot into another car on what I thought was a flat parking lot. The only place I don’t use the parking brake is in my garage. Oh, and it is illegal to park in Maryland without using the parking brake. I’m sure you won’t get a ticket unless your car drifts into another while parked, but the law is still there.