Saab story (transmission?)

My 1994 Saab CDE rolls sometimes when it’s in park. My mechanic adjusted some bolt with the hopes that the park would engage. It’s slightly better but he fears that it is something in my transmission that needs adjusting. There are no Saab mechanics in town and dealers give me the heebie jeebies. My mechanic works mostly on mercedes so he doesn’t know the ins and outs of a saab. Any suggestions for him or me (other than sell it)? It only has 71,000 miles on it.

Ideally, you should be able to get this repair taken care of by a competent local mechanic–perhaps an independent transmission shop (NOT by AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, or any other chain operation).

That being said, if the car rolls while in “Park”, that indicates that either your e-brake/hand brake is non-functional, or that you have chosen to not use the e-brake/hand brake.

Nobody should solely rely on the Park Pawl in the transmission to hold a car, and because of that, you should always use the e-brake when parking the car. If you don’t believe me, read the appropriate section of both your Owner’s Manual and the Driver’s Manual published by your state’s DMV.

Even if you can’t get it repaired, rather than selling the car, wouldn’t it be easier to simply use the equipment provided by the manufacturer (i.e.–the e-brake/hand brake) for holding the car in place when parked?