'05 GT Cruiser intermittently won't start

2005 GT Cruiser intermittently won’t start. Replaced engine switch actuator and switch relay, No improvement. I have to attempt to start it and then wait 15 minutes. Cranks (weak cranks though) and runs fine when it does start. Does not cut off while running. Please help. LOL :slight_smile:

Some people reported that the fog lights intermittently stay on after the engine is shut down. Your battery could be discharging and causing a weak crank because of this.Removing the fog light fuse will cure it until the problem is fixed.Also,make sure the fog light indicator is off when engine is shut down.

That indicates a battery, or cable problem. How old is the battery? What is the voltage before you try to start?

May not be the problem, but it’s the place to start.

Hey Bill. Thanks for the help. I bought the car in October and haven’t replaced the battery so its no telling how old it is.It’s getting plenty of power when it does fire up. I had the alternator tested and its good. O’Reilly’s said the battery was good but that doesn’t necessarily mean it is. Ha ha…

No fog lights. I’m going to clean the battery terminals because they do have some corrosion on them. Do you think this will help?

Yes,of course it will help and make sure they are on tight.

Awesome. I’m going to do that and I will hit update whether it helped nor not. :slight_smile: Wish me luck! :slight_smile:

Can’t type this morning. Need more coffee. LOL :slight_smile:

You need to clean the mating surfaces of the battery connections. That’s 4 connections. There will be two at the battery and two at the other end of the (thick) cables, one to a ground connection and one to the starter.

Remove the negative connection first and leave it off until you have disconnected and cleaned and reconnected the other connections. There is a special wire brush tool you can get for a few dollars to clean the inside of the clamps.

Okay. Thanks so much for the advice. :slight_smile:

I was told that if you turn the key all the way back all of the dashboard lights should come up. I don’t know if this is true or not but it definitely isn’t happening.