04 Ford Escape Check Engine Codes

This is a Ford Escape XLT with the 3.0L V6. I get the following codes - P0316 P0300 P0136 P0305 P0306. Sometimes it runs just fine and sometimes it misses and bucks and jumps. It has been taken to a local shop and they said they found a loose ground at the computer. They said they corrected this and it should run fine. It still shows the same codes and runs like it did before they worked on it.

P0300= Multiple Misfires Detected

P0305= Misfire Detected Cylinder #5

P0306=Misfire Detected Cylinder #6

P0136=Heated Oxygen Sensor Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0316=Misfire Detected In The 1st 1,000 RPM’s At Startup

Tester

Model year and mileage?

The first step might be a new set of spark plugs and some quality injector cleaner…

^
Caddyman is probably correct, but that leads to the inevitable question:
What type of mechanic’s shop would fail to check spark plugs and COPs when codes like that come up?

The OP most likely needs a new mechanic to work on his vehicle.

There is apparently a TSB for 2004 Escapes related to spark plug and COP issues that will cause misfires. I would go to the dealer and get a copy of that TSB. It could well be the source of your problems.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13316158&postcount=10

As I understand the TSB, some OEM plugs will fry the COP.

I wonder what is causing the O2 sensor circuit problem? I’d be curious about what’s causing that as the first order of business I think.

The P0136 code is an O2 sensor low voltage. Probably the sensor is bad or the connector is corroded.

I have checked the codes and reset the computer three times. The code for the O2 sensor only showed up one of the three times. The other codes keep coming back.

What’s the condition of this car? Any significant rust? Been in a wreck before?

Car is in good condition. No accidents I know of, I bought it used.

Since there is no rust or accident, unless someone who worked on the car forgot to put things back together correctly, this is most likely due to some component failure.

“Misfire” means the ECM detected that the crankshaft didn’t get the boost in rotational speed expected following the time period when that cylinder should have fired and pushed the piston down. When there’s a misfire confined to certain cylinders, mechanics will often move the cylinder specific stuff around and see if the misfire tracks the movement. For example, they might switch the coil pack for number 5 to cylinder number 1. Or the spark plugs, fuel injectors, etc.