03 VW Jetta Heater/AC problem

I have a 03 jetta that the heater fan won’t blow on 1,2,or 3. Speed 4 works but when I put it to 4 the AC compressor drops out. The compressor comes on if the fan is on the 3 lower speeds but the fan won’t blow. If it’s the resistors where can I locate them? Any other ideas are also welcome.

. Speed 4 works but when I put it to 4 the AC compressor drops out.

I would start there. Why is the AC compressor dropping out? Is it somehow working when you have it on one of the other speeds? Are you saying you can have the cabin fan or the A/C compressor working, but not both at the same time?

Yea the three lower speed are almost certainly a resistor problem, but I would work on the A/C problem first.

I suggest having an A/C - Radiator shop check out the A/C.

The problem is solved although I can’t explain all the reasons. i ewwnt to a local recycler and borrowed the resistor assembly and now everything works again. I don’t know why the ac acted ike it did but it’s ok now. just another VW thing I guess.

By the way, the resistor pak can be reached by going under the dash, at the glovebox and removing the foam pad [2 plastic plugs] and remove 2 6mm socket hex screws.