03 Altima heating/cooling issue

Hello fellow car community. So I replaced both the upper & lower thermostats in the car 2 weeks ago,everything was great for a week. Ok par for the course I thought as I watched coolant leaking from the water pump. Changed out the water pump but now im not gtting any heat when running the heater & the lower radiator hose is cool to the touch(same issue it had before changing thermostats). Is it possible that the thermostats went bad in that time frame.? Could they be damaged if overheated?

You may have air trapped in the system, either from a bad radiator cap or other sources, Seems to be a common complaint on this vintage of Altima.

2 Likes

Thank you Wollyrob. Next question , how do I go about removing the air from system? I know back in the day we would just park the vehicle with the front of vehicle uphill & it would force all the air to the top of radiator. With these imports & computer controlled vehicles I have no idea how to get the air out.

| wolyrobb
February 26 |

• | - |

You may have air trapped in the system, either from a bad radiator cap or other sources, Seems to be a common complaint on this vintage of Altima.

It sounds like your method would still work from what I’m reading. May not get all the air out but it’s worth a try.

After how many miles of driving? The lower hose will be cool if the vehicle is parked and idling.

The water pump will force coolant through the heater core, operate the engine at 2500 RPMs for 30 seconds, then refill the cooling system.

Thanks.gonna give that a try now.

| Nevada_545
February 26 |

• | - |

scottadams650_166242:

the lower radiator hose is cool to the touch(same issue it had before changing thermostats).

After how many miles of driving? The lower hose will be cool if the vehicle is parked and idling.

scottadams650_166242:

how do I go about removing the air from system?

The water pump will force coolant through the heater core, operate the engine at 2500 RPMs for 30 seconds, then refill the cooling system.

I only drove it a couple of miles,because i was worried about causing damage cause there was no heat coming from heater.

On some cars it’s important to have the heater control set on Hot to maximize coolant flow through the heater core and help air escape. The heat control, not the fan.

Thank you, I will know today wheather or not all of these things worked or not. I appreciate your input,thanks again.

| shanonia
February 26 |

• | - |

On some cars it’s important to have the heater control set on Hot to maximize coolant flow through the heater core and help air escape. The heat control, not the fan.

Any idea how the cooling system would be getting air into it.but not leak coolant?

A leaking head gasket would allow cylinder gasses to enter the cooling system.

Did you check the coolant level after the road test?

Yes I did,everything was spot on.I get goodheat from the heater,thermostats are opening at specified temps. Would a leaking head gasket cause the car to run ruff or ragged?

If the cooling system is full and the heater is operating as expected, what is the problem?

I am still getting air in the cooling system somehow. I can hear like bubbling or gurgling on the passenger side of the vehicle after coming to a stop. So after car cools enough for me to open radiator cap, I’ll go thru the same steps as before to remove air trapped in system & I get air bubbkes for about 5-8 mins after reaching temp. Not constant like an air hose but rev it couple bubbles wait a minute oe two same thing.