Lowell, Arizona is a treasure trove of old cars

Have any of the forum members been there?
There are a lot of interesting pics on this site:

1 Like

Have not been there. But so like the towns we lived near in the 50s before moving to Minneapolis when my dad gave up farming.

Very nice
Been to Arizona once, Tempe for a conference, will not be there again.

1 Like

Haven’t been there. It looks remote and I’d imagine not many people from outside the area have been there. If there weren’t modern trucks an a modern SUV or two I’d have worn those were 60 year old pictures.

Reminds me of a story in “The Book of Charlie”. Late 20’s, early 30s. He & teenage buddies were spending their summer vacation driving a Model-T from Iowa to LA. Mostly just to see if such a thing was possible. Lots of pushing and pulling when the T got stuck. But they always got it to budge. Then a possible disaster, a critical part failed, right in the middle of the Arizona desert. They had no choice but to wait for help in the desert, the shade of the T, very hot. Nobody at all passed by for hours and hours, then like a miracle a local farmer happened by in his own T, and he was carrying the exact spare part they needed! He gave it to them, no charge – this was apparently a T-owner courtesy — installed, and away they went on to LA.

Arizona is a great place to find restorable classic cars. No road salt and little rain. The interiors and rubber are always totally roached but the metal is intact.

I have been to Arizona many times; Phoenix, Flagstaff, Sedona, Yuma, and a number of smaller towns. Did not make it to Bisbee or Lowell. 35 years ago I’d have moved to Tempe in a heartbeat to work at GM’s proving grounds.

My last trip there was around 2004. It had lost a lot of its appeal and GM closed their PG