Is my car safe to drive without the ABS working?

I didn’t say it happened often, but it does happen, especially early in a snowstorm when they’ve only plowed one pass up the middle of the street, leaving everyone’s outside wheels in much heavier snow.

I agree with missileman.

My state,Massachusetts,won’t pass it at inspection time if it came equipped on the car. Its a safety issue related to the brakes

I agree with you except for one condition: if the ABS system were malfunctioning and causing a dangerous situation. The ABS system was designed to be fail-safe, but nothing is 100%. I’ve heard of the rare occasion of an ABS malfunction that nearly rendered the brakes useless by kicking in at the wrong time.

Sorry, this is incorrenct information:

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/faq/inspection.htm#4

ABS is not required to be working.

I wish you posted the year and vehicle you are referring to. I just fixed a Grand Am with a ABS,Trac light and Ck engine light on.

In Virginia, a vehicle will pass inspecton if only the ABS light is on . If the brake light is on, along with the ABS light,it won’t pass.

No lawyer would be able to make an adverse operation claim based on ABS. You just bought the marketing hype. Studies have shown at the most 10% improvement in wet stopping distance for ABS. Thats 15 feet or less from a 140ft stop at highway speed. Translates to less under truly adverse conditions due to slower speeds. Better tracking control in some cars but not all, check the SUVs. The braking system is intact. Under the conditions that ABS might be somewhat helpful road surface/ weather will be found as cause for poor braking. Even with deaths involved this would very rarely see a court. Negligence is not proved if liability is even remotely due to weather or road conditions. Just my 2.

Unless you continually “tailgate” the other drivers during a rain or snow storm, you’ll be fine. Other wise, keep a “safe distance”. Use common sense. DRIVE SAFE!

I have over 3 million miles driving tractor trailer out of Buffalo, Ny and 14 years driving School Bus plus 50 + years in my personal vehicles. I have been in more danger of having an accident from malfunctioning ABS brakes than I ever have been without them. I once went thru a toll booth at 60 mph on a dry road because the ABS in my tractor-trailer was buzzing like mad but wouldn’t allow me to slow the truck. Studies reported in Car and Driver reported that on glare ice and fresh fallen snow, ABS actually increases stopping distance.

Oldtimer, I’m with you. ABS does NOT shorten stopping distances on slick surfaces. It increases the stopping distance, but is supposed to keep you in control by preventing wheel lock-up. But, ABS is not 100% fool-proof. I, like you, learned to drive without ABS, and know how to safely drive when the conditions are poor. The ABS on my Ford Explorer has never kicked in. On my Supra, it kicked in once when I forced the issue on a gravel road, just to see if it was working.

Yeah, it allows you to keep steering control at the expense of lengthier stopping distances. Trouble is, when you’re headed straight for the car in front of you and there’s no where else to steer to it simply allows you to plow into the car in front of you! It works great, however, if you’re an auto critic…it allows you to steer around the orange cones you set up in the test area.

I think that depends on the system -- on my Buick, when my parents had a Caddy, I would say the ABS stopping distance (both on gravel and ice) was not noticeably longer if I stood on the brakes versus finessing them so ABS didn't kick on (and comparing it to my older non-ABS cars).  On the other hand, I've driven several other cars where ABS substantially increased the stopping distance compared to going easy on the brakes so as to avoid ABS engagement.

Re: oldtimer11, I've never had that harrowing a problem, but did have to get a quick fix done on my front wheel hubs -- which have the ABS sensors integrated -- for a similar but less severe symptoms.  I had the ABS computer falsely detect wheel lockup a few times due to those bad sensors, I'd be gently braking to a stop and the darn thing would start grinding away and cutting my braking power!

Anyway, regrading the OP, don't sweat it.  I have ABS, and frankly I've not found it to be a big deal.  With poor tires, in snow or ice the traction is basically nonexistant, you just end up going along forever with ABS pumping instead of skidding along forever -- no help.  With good tires, I've only had my ABS go for fractions of a second, it'd help if you panic and stand on the brakes I guess.  ABS can kick in on gravel but effectively, but not too helpful -- if the ABS is good, it gives the same effect in braking distance as just easing up a little on the brakes so they stay unlocked.   With poorer ABS systems, the braking distance on the gravel is much much longer than easing up.

Sure, why not. Just be careful on slick surfaces. Shouldn’t affect anything else.