For all those that want a cheap car

In Bolivia, where they drive on the right, they simply move the steering column and pedals to the other side, but leave all the dashboard items in place.

Wow! That must look bizarre! There must be a law prohibiting RHD cars in Bolivia. LHD cars are allowed in Britain, at higher insurance rates. I’ve driven RHD drive cars in the US and it really isn’t any big deal - except the left hand shifting, I kept trying to do a mirror pattern. (First is to the LEFT, not RIGHT, LEFT dummy!)

Germany has a similar issue, I hear. The TUV has pretty stringent requirements for inspections as the cars age. It can be more economical to dump the cars into eastern European or middle eastern markets than to fix the car.

@Mustangman Yes, the steering wheel and pedals have to be on the left; nothing else is required in the way of modification. It was fun telling the taxi driver how fast he was going and giving the gasolino reading.They still sell old model Toyotas there without any safety items except seat belts.

At La Paz airport you’re entering a real aviation museum; DC 3s, DC 4s, and all sorts of cast off planes that would not be allowed to land in the US. They’re used for local freight and passenger runs into the mountains and interior.

Gee, it seems to me that having all the gauges in the wrong place is a bigger safety threat than having RHD in a LHD country! I drove RHD Jeeps and LLVs for the USPS, and it’s NOT that big of a deal! Granted, there is a awkward “transition” phase–but after about 10 hours or so experience, you’ve got it. It’s comparable in difficulty to learning to tow a trailer, or maybe even easier.

I’ve seen several DC-3s at US airports. There were all private aircraft, but in use all the same.

Nearly eighty years after the first flight, there are DC3s out there, still making a profit for the owners.

And we still get on and off planes the same way as on a DC-3.

They’re still working on transporters… :smiley:

They do have jetways now, ya know…

Jetways, sure, but still single file out the plane. But instead of 30 on a DC-3, it’s 120 on a 737.

^Everybody gets up once the plane parks. I just stay seated. I figure, I’ll have to wait on my bags at baggage claim anyways; I’d sooner wait, seated, than wait, standing.

You’d think this would be self-evident, but the second the seatbelt sign goes off, EVERYBODY stands up, even though the door isn’t even open.

Or over 800 on a A380. :astonished:

If you ever depart a moving plane with all your luggage onto a runway at 120*F you will never complain about seat position or waiting for luggage. Yes. @meanjoe, it’s just way too comfortable to sit until all the “important” people are gone and then leisurely walk off.

I stand up immediately because I’m tired of sitting down after more than an hour in the airplane seat. This assumes, of course, that I’m seated on the aisle. If not, I wait my turn to stand. Standing hunched over underneath overhead storage is less comfortable than remaining seated. Do whatever suits you.

Hi there. Could you please bring this back toward cars? Thanks.

I think this one is played out. You can close to further comments, Caroline.