Different coolant types and which is best?

@db4690 The shop that serviced my car put DEX Cool in when they changed the radiator. They probably did not thoroughly flush out the system. The rad was replaced free of charge and we put the traditional green stuff (ethylene glycol) on.

The problem seems to be mixing DEX cool with other coolants.

@Docnick‌

Again I ask . . . how old was the radiator when it leaked?

@db4690 The radiator was installed in 2007 and failed within a little over a year or so. The shop blamed the DEX Cool, which they had been using.

I think the system was not completely purged when the DEX Cool was put in. This shop stopped using DEX Cool in all non GM vehicle as they had experienced other premature failures.

@Docnick‌

Thank you for that information

I’m just wondering why that shop had been using dexcool in non-gm vehicles . . . perhaps it was easier to just stock dexcool, and put it in every vehicle

Does this shop service many . . . or mostly . . . gm vehicles?

Do you remember what quality level radiator was installed?

This shop stopped using DEX Cool in all non GM vehicle as they had experienced other premature failures.

Exactly why it’s a bad idea to use non-OEM approved fluids of any kind in a car. Might have been the Dexcool, might have happened with a universal-type fluid, might have even happened with the correct coolant and been the fault of a poorly built radiator. But when using the proper fluids you don’t have to question the coolant choice as a factor.

@db4690 This shop runs a normal maintenance and repair service as well as restoring and servicing classic cars. At any time you see vintage Mercedes, 60s muscle cars, and various other models no one else want to service. The owner also builds fuelers and dragsters.

There are several GM dealerships in the area and as soon as the warranty of these cars is up they go to his shop. They were a factory designated installer of superchargers for GM Suburbans and pickups for those who pulled very large trailers. That’s may be why the used DEX Cool.

The rad they installed was an aftermarket from a reliable supplier; these guys don’ skimp since they have very world wise customers who don’t want to save every last dollar. There are some poor quality rads, starters and alternators on the market these days.

@Docnick‌

Thanks for the update

Yup, there are lots of Chinese radiators available for less than $100 from the local mom and pop radiator shops in my area

I sometimes buy these for beaters in the family. But then again, these are cars we’re not planning on keeping all that long

I remember hearing that the Dex Cool was very bad to mix with the old green stuff. I guess they aren’t compatible and will eat each other and I guess cooling system components from what happened here. Anyway, I heard the pink Toyota is the way to go from quite a few people. I also think Mazda may spec their own type of coolant. It does seem crazy that there aren’t just a few standards like for brake fluid and such.

@cwatkin, many moons ago, ethylene glycol was the definitive standard and every car, foriegn and domestic, used it. Except for some extreme luxury or supercar models maybe. Then, in the early 90’s, they started using propylene glycol and introduced Dexcool, an OAT-based coolant. Later, many makers started using HOAT-based coolants and everyone spec’ed thier own formulations. But, Toyota pink is a special blend of ethylene glycol that is silica free.

99% of today’s coolants (including Dexcool) are ethylene glycol based. OAT (Organic Acid Technology ) is an additive package.

I was thinking about going to waterless coolant. No expansion to blow hoses. Lower freezing and higher boiling points. No water to corrode the cooling system. Jay Leno uses it in his antiques. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PykrgzWPQ

@insightful, but those additive packages makes the coolant incompatible with each other. Even to the point that you cannot add classic ethylene glycol to Dexcool without risking turning the coolant to gel. That’s my point.

Point taken, Busted, thanks.

The Evans coolant is essentially pure propylene glycol which has higher viscosity and lower thermal conductivity than conventional mixes. It therefore reduces the cooling capacity of your system. That’s why he said your engine will run hotter. Probably OK for old systems with large coolant passages. I’d be wary on newer vehicles.