2002 Ford Explorer

He’s decided…let it go…

@gsragtop @chaissos

I have not decided on what to do yet

I have not decided on what to do yet

Good. At the very least, find an auto parts store where you can have your error codes pulled for free. Most big-box chain stores will do it. Write down the code in its exact form (Pxxxx) and post it.

There will be other codes that the auto parts stores can’t read (e.g. ABS codes & some trans codes), but the basic OBDII codes could go a long way. You may also know someone or find a shop where you can get full code info for free or cheap.

@cigroller
Advanced Auto or O’Reilly’s or Auto Zone?

Yes, most of those kinds of places will get you codes for free. Don’t just go on what the auto parts person says. Get the exact, specific code(s).

@cigroller
I think they just erase them these days…anytime i went to either of these places tey just erased the code without telling me

Ok - well that’s a little weird. They’re supposed to want to tell you what the code is so that they can sell you stuff. So go back to one of these places, ask them to read them and tell them that you need to write down the exact code(s). Around me, that’s what they do and then they ask whether I want them cleared or not. You can also buy your own code reader for $50 or so or even less for a patchcord to make a laptop a code reader if you have one.

@cigroller
I replaced a front bering yesterday adn the light went off

What light went off? ABS? Check engine? Both?

If the hub has a built in wheel speed sensor then that may have been the entire problem, though I don’t know what inputs are used for transmission controls. Speed sensor info is crucial - whether or not the wheel speed sensors are involved I don’t know.

@cigroller

both…i also replaced front brake pads and the lights went off>>>>> what’s up oith that?

The ABS light? It may not be a bad idea to clean the wheel speed sensors when you do the brakes. They are used to determine what the ABS is supposed to do. Those sensors tend to collect a lot of crud.

i replaced brake pads and it seemed to fix the problem