1980 Datsun Pick Up

If this was 1966 would somebody be considering a 1930 Chevy that ‘just needed a tune up’? TSMBs right, cars have changed much less in the last 50 years overall…

Yeah, I’m with the rest. You’d have to be insane to buy this truck at that price. Hell, you’d have to be insane to ask that price for this truck.

I paid less than 1/4 of that for my old truck, and it’s a lot newer than that thing.

I don’t blame the guy for asking, he’s hoping somebody out there just has their heart set on a 1980 Nissan. Had one as a kid, whatever. No harm in asking…just in paying!

Might have gotten his head inflated a bit with how much people apparently want small Japanese trucks these days.

I had mine out yesterday to haul off sod we’re ripping out for a yard project. This old man rode by on a bike, then turned around and rode up to me and asked if I’d sell it.

The last time I had it out for a project, some kid left a note under the wiper asking me to sell it to him.

I have an Acura TL, a CRX, and an MR2, and they’re all in mint condition and 2 of them are very hard to find in decent shape, but the vehicle people ask me to sell to them is the old '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max with lots of rust and 200k miles. Amazing.

^^^ Yeah, but he was offering $500, right?

;-]

I won’t let it go for a dime under 20 grand!

“Let it sink into the mud first”? I dunno, I had my 86 Riv for sale for a long time (several years). It had a lot of miles but was a great car. I don’t remember what I was asking for it but think it was about $2000. I only got one bite from a guy who’s kid just wrecked his car and was looking for another. It would have been a good fit and I think he would have gone for $500. I should have just made the deal, but instead I hung onto it putting more money into it and finally sold it for $50 with a new battery and a full tank of $4 gas. So the question is, do you like it sitting in the mud or driveway, or do you really just want to get rid of it??

@Bing

I hear what you’re saying, and you have some valid points

But here’s a common scenario . . .

Many people do NOT accept offers far lower than their asking price and instead let the vehicle rot. Many times so much time passes that the owner dies of old age, and his kids let it go for chump change or just sell it to the junkyard

A friend of mine who passed away about 4 years ago had a bunch of vehicles around his place out in the country. He was a wrench and wrecker operator.

He had some Alfas out there, a very straight MG Midget, a 76 Cadillac Eldorado convertible in hot pink, and a number of other rarities.
I’ve know the guy for 40 years and was interested in the MG. It was complete but needed paint, interior, and making it run which meant ???. He wanted 4 grand also for that project. Good thing we were not enemies.

So the cars sat and he passed without any of them being sold. I found out that his son and wife just had them all (about 30 cars) hauled to the crusher.

@Bing quote, " So the question is, do you like it sitting in the mud or driveway, or do you really just want to get rid of it?? " I can only answer for myself and my own situation: I just want to get rid of it, but not for free. Wanted $800 came down to $500 minimum. Eventually its going to be in the way, because its blocking my access to my back yard. Right now I’ve got bigger fish to fry, with a career change coming later this year.

I’m actually thinking about taking it down in the woods somewhere and lighting it on fire; maybe I can get a viral video on YouTube! I read that in my state its not illegal to set my own vehicle on fire as long as I’m not committing insurance (or any other kind of) fraud.

There was a large wooded area near where I grew up that had several large clearings which always contained a few burned out wrecks which people used as makeshift target ranges. Drove thru that area recently for old times sake - - all those woods are gone, its all housing developments back there now, so I’d have to find a new location. . . not sure where I’d go, everything is all built up around here nowadays. . .

@ok4450 quote, " I found out that his son and wife just had them all (about 30 cars) hauled to the crusher. " Wow. What a shame! You’d think they’d call an auction house or a “we buy anything” company first. Since they have no emotional attachment to any of those cars, anything over scrap metal value would be a bonus to them. Oh well, I guess it just makes all the other ones that didn’t get crushed that much more valuable.

Edit to add: In my case, I don’t think I’m being unreasonable. There is a local junkyard which advertises $400 for any complete car with a clear title from time to time, although I found out that offer is not currently valid due to low scrap metal prices and in any case my Jeep is far better than junkyard quality. I don’t think $800 is unreasonable considering I recently spent $858 repairing it, and another $800 6 months before that (yeah I know - you never get that money back. . . ) Its 20 years old and need not go thru state inspection or emissions inspection again, with “historic” plates, and I’m told there’s a big demand for those 4 wheel drive Jeeps. Perhaps craigslist IS the answer, and I may yet go that route, but as I stated, I’ve got bigger fish to fry right now. The insurance and registration is paid up thru the end of November, so I’ve got time to consider my options.

If I listed the deals I have made and prices Ive purchased vehicles for…you wouldn’t believe me…

The most recent ? A 95 BMW 325i Cabriolet… The buy price ? 150 dollars…what did I sell it for after enjoying and driving it semi daily for 1 year ? $4500… This is but one of too many to list.

Funny story goes with that BMW… I saw the car and a well dressed couple on the side of the road… I asked if I could help… He said the car seemed to need a jump start…but only ran about 3 minutes and died again. I said your alternator died…he said how do you know…I explained. I also said I lived about a mile away and could repair it for you… and that I could tow him to my house with my Honda Accord of all things !! So I did…and I also drove them to their home 20 miles away. The next day i installed a new alternator I had lying around and charged him 350 for the repair. He was floored…he saved my number and would ask me car advice periodically…which I provided freely… One day he called me and asked if I wanted his car after a minor front end collision… He said just give me 200 for it… I said I have 150 in my pocket.

He had the car towed to my house…I repaired the grille and radiator within 3 days… Drove and enjoyed that Black Beauty for one year and sold it at a bit of a profit. I get deals like this almost each month… Crazy eh ? One of the power leather seats was worth more than I paid for that BMW…but hey…this is my world…

Blackbird

Something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. Collector cars have no intrinsic value that makes them better that other cars. A 1965 Mustang is just as rust prone or more so as a beige K car.

The most expensive thing in my family room is a sand sculpture from the Sahara desert given to me as a parting gift by Sonatrach in Algeria after I did a workshop there. These are carved out by the Sahara winds and care called “Rose du sable” (Sand Rose) as they are carved out by the winds from solid rock.I was in a Tourist gift shop in the Rockies last year and saw one on sale for $4200!!. Not sure anyone will pay that, but it will likely sell for “only” $3000 when reduced.

I agree Doc. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Apparently the seller of this pickup is not familiar with the concept.

There’s an old joke about a vacuum salesman who comes to the door selling his wares. When asked the price, he says "$1,000,000. The startled homeowner says “$1,000,000? how can you expect to sell vacuums at that price!”. The salesman says, “yeah, it’s high, but I only have to sell one vacuum.”

Thank you everyone. I didn’t go to look at it - I think you’re right about the price.