Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

3057 vs 3157 bulb

What is the difference between 3057 & 3157 (aside from the #)? Can I use either one for my 2005 Camry brake/tail light? Are both bulbs interchangeable? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• edited April 2008

Take a close look at the bulbs. Doubt they are interchangeable. The difference could be size, contacts, color and a few others.
  • edited April 2008
    One bulb may have a single filiment and the other a double filiment. Look close. And if that's the case, they're not interchangable.

Tester
  • edited April 2008
    They are physically interchangable! For the most part you will see no difference. The 3157 is a little brighter than the 3057 when the parking lights are on. For brake light/turn signal flash, the brightness is the same. It would be best to see what the bulb on the other side is and use the same thing. Better still to replace all the brake lights now. If one has failed, the others are probably close to failing too.
  • edited April 2008
    They are both double filament.
  • edited April 2008
    No they aren't interchangable. If you look at the brass colored area you will see two little prongs. One is lower then the other one. Also, there are two contact points on the bottom of one bulb. You can force one bulb into the opposite socket and it might work if you get it just right, But the double filiment, double contact bulb will melt the lens of a car that is meant for one filiment.
  • edited April 2008
    Again, they are both double filament. I have a package of each bulb right here. Sorry, but they do interchange. The wattage difference is in the milliwatts. It won't cause any melting. The wattage of the bright filaments is the same. The only physical difference is slightly different resistance readings of the parking light filament. There is no brass colored area. These are wedge plastic base bulbs. These are not the old round twist in type bulbs. See link below for a picture.
    http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/87-541-automotive-bulbs/auto-bulb-replacement-112194.aspx
  • edited April 2008
    While researching a similar question I found this link to a GE spec sheet: http://www.topbulb.com/find/Catalogs/GE_Mini_Sealed.pdf

The bulbs are, indeed nearly identical.
  • edited April 2008
    It's called "shelf space". Make the parts stores stock as many bulbs as possible. And belts. And hoses. And filters.
  • edited April 2008
    They are both double filament, wedge type bulb, & can be use interchangeably. From the website you provided, they belong to the S-8 group. Thanks.
  • edited April 2008
    Yes, they are both double filament & can be used interchangeably. They are the wedge type bulb, not the round twist type. Their difference in brightness is minimal. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.