99 neon fuel pump problem

My fuel pump failed and the engine stopped running. After checking the relief valve, my mechanic found a burned out fuse. When he replaced the fuse, the new one immediately blew. Had the car towed to his garage where he replaced the fuel pump. The car started and ran, but a few blocks later, the pump failed. Thinking it was a faulty pump, he replaced
it again; with the same results. Tried it one more time, with no more success. He is now checking the car’s computer to see if this is causing the problem. My question, can we “fix” this computer by replacing a chip or do you have to buy a new computer. If so, how much should one cost? Or, better still, is there another, less expensive way, to get this car running again. With 150,000 mile, this Neon is in GREAT running condition. Everything works, it has a new rebuilt engine and runs like a top (when it gets fuel).
Standman

My fuel pump failed and the engine stopped running. After checking the relief valve, my mechanic found a burned out fuse. When he replaced the fuse, the new one immediately blew. Had the car towed to his garage where he replaced the fuel pump. The car started and ran, but a few blocks later, the pump failed. Thinking it was a faulty pump, he replaced it one more time; with the same results. Then once again, with no more success.

He is now checking the car’s computer to see if this is causing the problem. My question, can we “fix” this computer by replacing a chip or do you have to buy a new computer. If so, how much should one cost? Or, better still, is there another, less expensive way, to get this car running again. With 150,000 mile, this Neon is in GREAT running condition. Everything works, it has a new rebuilt engine and runs like a top (when it gets fuel).
Standman

* Dodge
* Neon

Don’t be too quick to blame the computer. A bad computer does not blow fuses. More likely the fault is in the fuel pump relay. This is easy to check. In the Neon the fuel pump relay and horn relay are identical. Swap relays, put in a fresh fuse, and try to run.

Also try swapping the ASD, (Auto shut down) relay