Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Kitten under the hood

edited November -1 in The Show
I was listening to the show this morning and have a solution for the kitten under the hood for the lady who drives 150 miles rt to work each day North of Sacramento.

Open a can of very stinky tunafish - NOT cat food. And open it right there by the car so they hear it being opened, and lure them away from the car with it. Hopefully this won't be a regular occurrence, but maybe if you did this every morning and got them away from the car, they would go to the spot where the tuna (eventually switching to cat food) is served! Meow!

(I learned to do this luring my cat out of a cistern under a house I was living in at one time)
Tagged:

Comments

• edited December 2009

If the cats are nesting under the hood in order to keep warm, no amount of tuna or other food is going to convince them to stop seeking the warmth of the engine compartment.

What you suggest was fine for one instance of luring a cat from the cistern, but I really can't envision anyone doing this EVERY DAY prior to going to work. By the time that the caller goes back into the house to wash the "very stinky tunafish" residue from her hands, the cat(s) would likely be back under the hood.
  • edited December 2009
    Years ago a customer came in on a cold evening saying he started his car, heard a loud noise, and then his battery light came on. We opened the hood to take a look and there was fur, blood, and guts spread all over his engine compartment.
  • edited December 2009

That is really not that unusual. In the colder months, cats frequently seek the warmth of engine compartments. And, that is why the OP's suggestion really does not make sense to me.
  • edited December 2009
    I had a cat that kept getting under the hood of the car, so I put a set of socket wrenches and a box of spark plugs on the engine and told the cat to get to work if he was going to be under the hood. He never got under the hood again. (I couldn't rssist this one).

I did find a kitten in our garage one evening 12 years ago that must have come in under the hood of the car. We have an attached garage and the door is always closed except when we run the car in or out. I managed to capture the kitten, and we fed the kitten, who was really starved. I placed an ad in the lost and found of the newspaper and canvassed the neighborhood with no response. The cat became a part of our family and is still with us.
  • edited December 2009
    Make sachets out of cut-up stockings and something called "Shake-Away Domestic Cat Repellent" (find it on the Internet), then tuck them away in convenient spots around the inside of the engine compartment. This product, which is scented with predator urine, does not give off an offensive odor but is very effective at scaring off most cats. The manufacturer even sells a "Stocking Ball Kit" that contains pre-cut stockings, measuring spoon, plastic gloves and instructions for making the sachet packets.
  • edited December 2009
    Keep wipes in the car to clean your hands! Cats always are alert to cat food or tuna fish as long as they smell it!
  • edited December 2009
    ...and then throw the smelly wipes in the car?
    No thanks.
    I prefer to wash my hands with soap and water.
  • edited December 2009
    At my ranch we have pack rats that try to nest under the hoods of vehicles in the yard. We have found that they like the tight space, and warmth of the engine. The only solution that we have found is to open the hood and leave it up when we are not using the vehicle. It works most of the time, but now the cars in the drive look like there is always something wrong with them. At the same time it sure beats digging out twigs and leaves from all over the engine compartment.
  • edited December 2009
    I wonder if it would work to put a speaker under the hood that goes "chirp!" loudly. When getting going in the morning turn on the noise maker a minute before starting the engine. Theory is once the car is vibrating the cat will "freeze" but if it is only noise they might just run away, especially if the engine is now cold (except for what the cat is keeping warm).
  • edited December 2009
    Don't think that just because you have 'Farm Cats' that these animals are anything like healthy or happy.

The problem is not simply that you have a kitten under the hood. The problem is that you have an unmanaged colony of Feral cats.

Most of those cute little kittens are going to die from disease, exposure, or be chewed up by coyotes.

The kittens that survive the first few months will be lucky to live for two years.

Feline leukemia outbreaks can wipe out the entire colony ( http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html ). Death by FeLV is a miserable death.

At the very least you must trap these cats, have them spayed/neutered, and tested for FeLV.
This discussion has been closed.