ZERO Response for CL Ad to sell truck-Any ideas welcome

When you create an ad on CL you need to focus on info that is both positive and relevant to the buyer, not what you think is relevant as the seller.

One month with no results is too long to have waited. Lower the price, and if you don’t get any interest in two weeks, lower the price again.

I can agree that the approach by Mr. Sanders is entirely valid also. On the other hand, if someone got the truck on the cheap and invested beaucoup money revitalizing it that does not mean the truck is worth the sum of the purchase price plus the repair costs.

An extreme example could be a guy around here about 10 years ago who listed a 1981 Buick Regal for 11 grand because he had 8500 dollars invested in the stereo system.

Checking out the listings on this FB page might give you a better idea of prices. https://www.facebook.com/groups/412155882172569/

Re pricing:

I plugged all the details into the Edmunds.com used car pricing tool, with the Zip code for Ashland Oregon, and got a “private party sale” price of $12,570, so that is probably how the seller determined his asking price of $12,500.

As db4690 noted, the diesel engine makes a significant difference in piricing: it adds $4000 to the suggested sale price in the Edmunds calculator. So, without the diesel, it would be an $8500 truck, although I see several comments from people here saying they wouldn’t even pay that for it.

I think one of the major problems is the mileage

And that has nothing to do with gasoline vs diesel

Many people don’t care that edmunds says the truck is worth what the guy is asking

They see the high mileage and say “I’m not paying that kind of money for a truck that might only last me a few years before needing an engine or trans overhaul”

Let’s not forget that it’s far more costly to maintain a diesel truck vs gas

I think db is “spot on”.
I’m puzzled as to why Edmunds thinks the truck with a diesel is worth 50% more than with a gas engine.

Perhaps people are coming to their senses and only buying trucks if they need a truck, not as a fashion statement. The largest group of people in Southern Oregon needing trucks are farmers/ranchers. Due to increasing drought conditions they may be anticipating a bad season and are delaying large purchases.

Wow! A lot to think about! I didn’t anticipate such a big response. We appreciate all of your thoughts. He’s a wildlands firefighter and been away for about a week. My daughter will be checking out all the responses. They have a lot to think about. She’s finishing up a term at SOU, Masters degree. Stress is a factor, here. They’re both open to the news, though, that’s why we asked. They’ll get it done somehow. Thanks again!

From Edmunds web site:

Edmunds.com’s True Market Value (TMV®) pricing is a powerful tool that helps shoppers get a good deal on a new or used car. Based on actual sales data, TMV is a guide to what other people in your area paid for the same car.

One had to check, but as I recall, in the past, both edmunds and kbb would stop dropping the price after a certain number of miles, usually 150K. So that might be the reason why the price comes up higher than expected. If buyers will find a similar truck, priced close to this one but with 150K miles, then guess which one they are going to look at.

As much as CL gets a bad rep, as I said, I have sold quite a few cars, all for cash and one for over $20K with zero issues (knock on wood). All my buyers were decent people just wanting to get a better deal on a used car.

My daughter made some changes to the ad, no price change yet, hubby away on fires. She posted it a few other sites, as well.

Up for sale is my 2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty. This truck has the 6.0L turbo diesel engine. I’ve loved it very much and it has been a great truck for both work and commuting. I have a growing family now, however and no longer have a tractor to haul around, so it’s time to switch it up.

I’ve taken very good care of this truck. It is regularly detailed and the interior looks great. Almost all of the miles I’ve put on this rig have been highway (one of the reasons I’m done with it).

This rig has never been smoked in. There’s a few little scratches, etc, but nothing noticeable. I am off fighting fire right now, but when I get back I’ll replacing the cracked windshield before anyone drives it away.

4 Wheel Drive /Air Conditioning / Alloy Wheels / AM/FM Radio
Anti-Lock Braking System / Automatic Transmission / Bed Liner / Multi Disk CD Player
Cruise Control / Power Door Locks / Dual Power Seats / Power Steering / Power Windows / Running Boards / Tilt Steering / Towing Package

@Kimbo‌

That sounds a lot better already

But I think you shouldn’t relist it until the windshield and mirror are taken care of

That will still give many people the impression that the truck was neglected

The first impression is often the biggest one, and the one that sticks

I received no response from Craig’s List when selling my Saturn. Cars.com resulted in several leads that were clearly fraud -People wanted to give me my price without ever seeing the car and they wanted access to my PayPal account.
Try old school: the newspaper and local ad sheets still work. I got calls, but nothing serious. I took my car to auction to sell it. I didn’t get the price I was hoping for, but at least I’m not paying for insurance on it. I looked into donation. The rules are very messy.

Yeah after checking looks like the value is somewhere around the $12,000 mark even with the mileage so I stand corrected.

Book value aside, it’s not going to move until the windshield and mirror are replaced, and the price is adjusted

Bottom line . . . if a used car isn’t moving, it’s priced too high, for the market conditions

take it to a local racetrack with a big for sale sign on it. those guys like hotrods and need to tow trailers

Try something more like this.

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.0L turbo diesel engine. Truck has never been smoked in. There’s a few little scratches, etc, cracked windshield that will be replaced prior to sale.
4 Wheel Drive /Air Conditioning / Alloy Wheels / AM/FM Radio
Anti-Lock Braking System / Automatic Transmission / Bed Liner / Multi Disk CD Player
Cruise Control / Power Door Locks / Dual Power Seats / Power Steering / Power Windows / Running Boards / Tilt Steering / Towing Package

Save all the sappy I loved my truck and off fighting fires. Buyers couldn’t care less. Just stick to the basic facts of the truck.

Do not mention windshield. IF any buyers show up, mention u will knock $300 off for it. U need Lookers in person. Get folks to see it, drive it.

Sorry, if I show up to look at a vehicle, and it has a busted windshield, no matter what the seller says, I will suspect he neglected it

Saying you will knock off $300 won’t impress me a whole lot. Because some windshields cost nearly that much, or more. And that’s not even factory glass I’m talking about

That would be my reaction

I agree with db4690 about repairing the windshield. The cost to repair may not be much but a cracked glass does leave a bad initial impression.