Your most reliable vehicle

I don’t think that’s me and most of the folks I’ve seen at the Back to 50’s rally just seem to enjoy the cars and working on them, just like when they were younger. I always wanted a 51 Plymouth but couldn’t afford the $100. Now I thought I would like a 57 Ford or a Corvair or maybe something more exotic like an English taxi. Once looking at them though, I thought oh man, that could be a lot of work, and a lot of bother, so guess I’ll pass. Most of us just didn’t worry about the in crowd and certainly who cares now? Unless you were in that small clique of people, it didn’t really matter to the rest of us.

Quite a few of the fans at the local “Blue Suede Cruise” are gear heads and are very talented. But several now aging men who grew up with me in the 60s in this small town now own one or more of the “in” cars from the good ole days that they must have lusted for way back when but couldn’t afford one. And now when they can easily afford a restored car to occasionally enjoy they find one that suits them. They must wash and wax then weekly then only drive them on a nice day. An Austin Healey 3000 sure would look good with me sitting behind the wheel today but I’m just not up to taking on even a simple repair on one so I’ll just enjoy day dreaming.

Yes, it’s nice to watch those “time warp” machines.

I live on a street with many 3 car garages, and a lot of car buffs. One guy has a 70s Olds Cutlass 2 door Hardtop in 70s green, fully restored. An other has a Mercedes “pagoda roof” SL coupe, year unknown. Then there is a white Olds 88 convertible form the early 60s after they got rid of the wraparound windshields .

These families all have 2 cars as daily drivers and park their classic in the 3rd bay.

I had a boss who was raised in England and owned an Austin Healy 3000. This car has 16 grease nipples on the front end alone and where we live would the worst kind of daily driver with its limited ground clearance and poor cold weather starting. But he enjoyed his toy.

On the other hand we have a Heritage Park here with a permanent car exhibit called Gasoline Alley. It regularly rotates visiting exhibits from other museums and private collectors. In addition in the summer months there are at least 3 major classic collector car exhibits indoors and outdoors.

1 Like

Amateurs.
:smile:
Why waste a perfectly good garage stall on a daily driver…
Around here especially this time of year, that just drags in leaves and/or snow/ice/water.
All daily drivers stay outside!

3 Likes

And even more sad when their doctor gets them addicted to opioids in the first place, but the patient gets blamed for it, yes?

The saddest part was that the same doctor, Nick Nichopoulos, got away with it and went on to get many more patients addicted to opioids over the next nearly 20 years through massive overprescription until his medical license was finally revoked in the mid 90’s. We have a massive addiction problem in this country caused by pharmaceutical companies and irresponsible doctors.

If you take the drugs your doctor tells you to take and then you get addicted, does that really make you a bad person?

4 Likes