Your most reliable vehicle

He didn’t contribute anything to the music world. He stole songs and styles from back blues artists and exploited his white privilege to make money from the talent of others.

1 Like

Same critique could apply to Pat Boone, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Van Morrison… where draw the line? It could be called appreciation and inspiration. Or theft. Or is it more complicated than any label?

I’d like to know your source, because all the research I’ve seen suggests we all use illicit drugs at about the same rate, about 12%, regardless of age, race, gender, income, or profession.

Maybe what you’re seeing is one group getting more attention than others, and considering the nature of publicity for public figures, it doesn’t take a PhD in statistics to recognize anecdote and confirmation bias at work.

No, they weren’t.

First, the popular vote count reflected the polls.

Second, and more importantly, polls are not designed to be predictive; they are snapshots in time (as in: if the election were held today…).

The polls were largely misunderstood and misconstrued, but they were not “wrong.”

While that could be accurate, the polls I saw were not about popular vote.

Again, while that could be argued, the polls I saw were used precisely to predict.

While my comprehension of the polls could be debated, from where I sat, the polls were flat-out wrong.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

1 Like

You can only say that because you haven’t read the actual polls to understand what they were designed to measure, and you consumed them through the filter of mass media where they’re interpreted in ways that have no relation to the actual design and intent of the polls.

Nationwide, Hillary won 2,864,974 more votes than Donald.

To bring this back to cars, the same goes for reliability surveys; if you’re going to criticize them, you should read them first to see what they were designed to measure.

I’d like to know which polls attempted to predict the electoral vote count. Name one example, just one.

Prediction of the electoral vote would be based on polls in the states - estimating how each state’s popular vote was leaning.

Yeah I get that, and if the polls were designed or intended to predict behavior, I would accept that analysis as valid, but they are not; polls and surveys are only snapshots in time. Interpreting them to mean more than that is folly.

Folly? Like predicting the outcome of a sports event? People do it because they are interested in / obsessed with the subject matter. What fools these mortals be!

1 Like

My father’s Craftsman flathead screwdriver can be used as a chisel, but if I use it as a chisel and it breaks, should I blame Craftsman? That’s what’s going on here, people are misusing a tool and blaming the tool.

Polls are used to make predictions, even as they measure present phenomena. Campaign advisors use them, and adjust their campaigns accordingly. The pollsters can’t prevent that, or anyone’s use of them.

Who’s blaming the tool? As you point out, how the tool is used [poll is interpreted] makes all the diff.

Can we please get this back to car reliability and away from the other stuff? Thanks.

4 Likes

The people (above) who claim the polls were wrong are blaming the tool. The polls were not wrong, they were misconstrued, ignoring their purpose and intent.

The point being that if you use a tool for a purpose other it’s intended design, don’t be surprised when it doesn’t work as you hoped it would, and don’t blame the tool maker when it occasionally happens.

The same goes for those who claim, based on anecdote and confirmation bias, that reliability surveys are wrong. It’s the same error being made.

So many things and issues that interest us all are trends that take on lives of their own and the public seems obsessed with being “In With the In Crowd”

or whatever crowd interests anyone.

Watching the Meecum auctions I get the impression that the aging buyers have worked all their lives ignoring things they wanted to be among the cool crowd but couldn’t afford and find themselves looking at the years they have left and the cash they have accumulated and decide they are going for the biggest-fastest-sexiest-whatever automobile that epitomizes what they most wanted back when they were younger and more often than not spectacular reliability is not at the top of their list. A Route 66 Corvette wouldn’t make a good year round grocery getter in Butte Montana or St Paul Minnesota but it sure would look great the first week of July.

Funny how people connects stuff to certain topic and got bit entertaining.

What a crock. Kind of like modern day rap artists exploit their “black privilege” when they sample classic rock songs, I guess. Eh, “Whitey”?

I’d educate you on the difference between using a music riff in the background of a rap and straight off ripping off someone else’s song, but it’s not car related.

I’ll just say that, regarding Elvis, he was straight up racist, the sucker was simple and plain, MF him and John Wayne.

I’d be happy to oblige.

The one thing about Elvis I admire is his car collection.

https://www.graceland.com/news/details/?id=7446

Wow, you knew Elvis? And John Wayne? Cool.

White privilege is a term rich white guys use. Apparently they feel guilty for having money. You think a poor white guy would use the phrase “white privilege”? Nah. Sounds like a racist term to me, assuming racist means holding preconceived ideas about someone based on the color of their skin.

I started the thread to hear other people’s experiences in reliability with whatever make and model of vehicle they’ve owned. Not to read about people’s political and social views.

4 Likes