Your mileage may vary

I owned an 80’s era 9 passenger Pontiac wagon, until 1998 when some guy talking on his phone in traffic on I-35 low in Austin converted it back to its basic elements.

I told a fellow worker I got around 18 mpg at 70 mph on the Interstate. He haughtily informed me I should be getting around 24 mpg, just as he did. What a line of blarney.

FYI, I’ve been getting a load of advice telling me things I have known for 40 years.
My questions were the ones I originally posted.

Yeah, I know I do it too, but I’m amazed at how often our answers don’t address the OP’s actual questions. Sorry about that. It’s your conversation, and thread-jacking is rude.

@melott - we don’t know what you know, do we? And since you’re getting reasonable highway mpgs, it’s more likely technique that’s the issue, not break-in.

We may not know what melott knows, but melott asked a very specific direct question, making it very easy to answer a direct question with a direct answer.

My direct answer is no, you shouldn’t expect oil consumption on a new vehicle. The owner’s manual in my mother’s 2002 Toyota Sienna warns about routine oil consumption, but if yours doesn’t, oil consumption would be a symptom of a problem. Actually, since switching my mother’s minivan to synthetic oil, I haven’t noticed any oil consumption.