Yet again with the 95 Chevy lumina, I think its done for

I was driving along for about 35 minutes at highway speeds with the engine light on and the heater gage all the way up, and cold air blowing out. The car had been doing this on and off for a while, but I never actually thought it was overheating. It would usually happen in really cold temperatures which it was today. When I get off the highway at the bottom of the ramp, the car stalled and smelly gray smoke starting coming out from the back end and under the hood. The car restarted (hesitantly) went another minute of two, died again. Did it a third time, died again. Smoke still coming. Called and had it towed. While waiting, the power was still working but I think gradually was dying because the hazard lights were fading. When I tried to start it a couple more times while i was waiting on the tow truck, the car would just go click, click, click, click, click, click and make no effert to try and start what so ever, just the clicking.

What do you think happened? I replaced the starter motor last week.

I think the car is done for.

Chrissy

I think your right. When the temp gauge spiked and the CEL came on, I think a coolant leak drained out all the coolant. The car blowing cold air supports this, because the heater uses engine coolant to warm the air. No coolant, no warm air. With the engine dying on you, it probably severely overheated and warped something. Overheating a car with aluminum cylinder heads is an engine killer.

From your description, it sounds like the motor is pretty much toast. If you’re lucky, you might be able to get it rebuilt, but I’m thinking a new/used/salvage yard engine would be a better option.
Time to start shopping for a new vehicle

I agree that it is time for at least a new engine.

And–for the sake of your wallet–the next time that you see the temperature gauge registering a very high temperature, please pull the car off the road as quickly as possible and shut down the engine. Driving a car for 35 minutes with an overheating engine is one of the best ways to destroy an engine.

About all I can suggest is making sure the oil and coolant levels are fine and verifying whether the engine is seized up or not.

The starter motor click could be due to a weak battery or a seized engine.

From your description it sounds to me like your car’s serpentine belt broke. You then drove for 35+ minutes at highway speeds with no coolant flow and no alternator output, either. You killed both the battery and the engine.

I think the car’s done for, too.

If at first you don’t succeed at killing your car, try, try again.

Third time’s a charm.

Anyway, I wouldn’t say your engine is completely dead. It may run again with minimal intervention. However, you can bet your bottom dollar it is seriously damaged and won’t run for long.