xB "In Car Pool" I didn't pay for!

I have a 2005 Scion xB. I have been getting a wet floorboard. I didn’t notice it (because of my rubber mats) for about a week, when I got mold and smell. The passengers side floorboard in both front and back is wet.

I took it to a car wash and vacuumed out the water, and left the windows cracked to dry yesterday. Now today the wetness is back, in less than 48 hours.

I figured it was the AC drain, so I haven’t been running it. Could it be built-up water coming to the surface, or could it be a bigger problem?

It’s only on the passenger side both front and back. In back the water is under the mat but nowhere else.

I assume, since you didn’t mention it, that it hasn’t been raining? I’m also assuming this is actual water and not antifreeze.

If so, yes, it’s likely your AC drain plugging up, so when the water evaporates out it has nowhere to go but the passenger cabin. Find the drain and clean it out.

Have you been hearing any sloshing sounds, or odd sounds when the fan is running.

This happened to me on my Buick Regal. I had to put it on the car ramps I have, and crawl underneath of it to locate the rubber “teat” that allows water to drain out of the heater core/AC condensor housing. I took a piece of coat hanger wire, and poked it through the rubber nipple. After a little bit of poking around, I got a splash of water in the face before I moved out of the way. I was really amazed at how much water came out.

Iffen it were a cracked heater core, the resulting anti-freeze leak would be unmistakeable odor-wise, and your windsheild would probably fog up somewhat on the inside.

It has been raining a lot, but it hasnt since I visited the carwash and sucked up the water.

I do not hear a sloshing sound.

The liquid doesn’t smell. The car smells slightly of mold (which I got out, and am treating with baking soda), and it smelled like hazelnuts one day before then (but my girlfriend likes to leave food in the car).

I am hoping its just the AC drain. My windows do not fog up, but I haven’t ran the heat (which happened when my last car cracked its heater core), so maybe I will try that tomorrow.

I am not an expert on this, but on TV they showed that household bleach kills mold almost instantly. Check it out before you try it.

20 Mule Team Borax is really better for mold remediation than baking soda or bleach. Bleach works faster but it can damage the carpets and corrode any exposed metals. Borax or Boric acid works very well and has long term durability…

Open the doors and check along the bottoms of the doors for the drain holes. They should be clear. If they are plugged, water can pool up inside the door and spill into the car.

Do you have a sunroof?