Wuzzzzzzzzzzz up wit dis jeep

that is the first time i heard that will have to check into that the codes i did get were p300 which is miss firing than it list the cylinder #s and p351 which is ignition coil

I have seen a half dozen later model 4.0L with coil on plug display faults P0351,P0352, P0353 when the distributor was out of sync. A seized distributor/cam sensor shaft was the cause, the ignition coil faults were erroneous in those cases.

The first step is to be sure the distributor is timed correctly. The engine will run if the distributor is out of time but not well.

very interesting i will check it out this is the first time anybody has said anything about the distributor needing sync’ed

THE JEEP DEALER I WENT TO NEVER HEARD OF THE DISTRIBUTER NEEDING SYNC’ED

BACK TO GROUND ZERO

COP, distributor?

I looked. It’s a distributor based system…with, of course, a coil.

With respect Winjamer, your question about adjusting the timing of the new distributor makes me wonder; do you understand how the ignition system works? Bolting new parts on without understanding what they do could do more harm than good.

Your comment about the Jeep dealer not having ever heard of the distributor needing to be synched makes me suspect that there was a communication breakdown. I’m wondering of you were talking to the “service adviser”, and typically they don’t know enough to recognize the term “synch” as perhaps being the same as “timed”. I can’t believe a mechanic wouldn’t recognize the question.

I JUST SAID THE SAME THING TO THE SERVICE WRITER AS YOU SAID TO ME SO IF I SHOULD HAVE SAID TIMED THAN ILL SAY TIMED

I AM AN OLE TIMER THAT WORKED ON CARBERATERS DISTRIBITORS WITH PIONTS & CONDENSERS AND COILS AND THAT STUFF BUT I HAVE A GOOD FRIEND THAT HAS A REPAIR SHOP WITH ALL THE LATEST EQUIPMENT HAS ALL THE SCANNERS OR WHAT ELSE WE NEED

“Check Sync Signal” is in the utility menu on the DRB III scan tool but a service writer won’t be familiar with that.

I took a look at the manual and prior to 1999 the 4.0 L distributor housing was keyed and can’t be rotated for adjustment. However there is nothing to prevent someone from installing the distributor a tooth off. The ignition timing is based off of the crankshaft position sensor so the engine will start but with the cam/crank sensors out of sync it won’t run properly.

You can double check the distributor timing by setting the crank at TDC and inspecting the pulse ring position in the distributor.

But was it runnig poorly before the distributor was replaced? If so this may have nothing to do with it.

Possibly a vacuum leak. And the EGR can be a vacuum leak that is difficult to isolate.

NEVADA 545 I SHOUD HAVE DONE WHAT YOU DID AND LOOKED AT THE MANUAL AND I WOULD HAVE KNOWN WHAT YOU DID THAT THE DISTRIBUTOR WAS A TOOTH OR 2 OUT NOT REALLY SURE BECAUSE IT TOOK A FEW TRYS TO GET IT RITE BUT IT IS PURRING NOW THANK U VERY MUCH FOR YOUR IMPUT

Congratulations on a job well done.
Sincere best.