Wrench question

You may be right. The response to my post saying that he already had most of what I listed made me wonder. There’re a wide variety of basic tools there. If he does already have most of them, than what’s the question for? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I just don’t have the wrenches.

Don’t see the issue. Pricing is in CAD by the way. I could get the 400$ one but the Milwaukee bench has much more features.

Fair enough. :relaxed:

Agreed. I didn’t get a tool cabinet until my two normal tool boxes were full to overflowing with tools, and I had more tools in 5 gallon buckets, and was having a bear of a time finding tools that I needed.

that said, if you’re bent on getting one now, now is a great time to get one:

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/tool-storage/tool-chests-boxes/masterforce-reg-41-tool-chest-and-cabinet-combo/p-1444451669613-c-9188.htm?tid=-3021521534721601635

That’s the one I have and it’s the least expensive I’ve ever seen it. It’s a very solid box. I cross-shopped it with Snap-On and Craftsman. It beat the Craftsman easily, and the Snap-On really didn’t have anything on it in terms of build quality.

I’m the type of guy who organization is number one. It’s not like if I wouldn’t be getting a 800$ toolbox I would get the wrenches without doubt, I would have the same taught process.

I’m already decided on the Milwaukee 60 Inch workbench. It has a nice workstation, and in my dad’s small garage that’s great. And I plan on storing more on just tools, car detail products, power tools and such.

Anyways, I got this set.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0076IBTKY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

McMaster makes great tool chests without question, but they might be a bit much for a home shop. I have less expensive chest-on-chest-on-chest setups in both my garage and my basement, and I’ve had them for many years without problems.

Me too. So I fire up the sewing machine, grab a piece of a $4 shower curtain liner and a few snaps, and make tool pouches. As you can see from the top set, I can easily tell if I’ve forgotten to put a wrench back after the project is done. As you can see from the bottom one, they roll up nicely too.

2 Likes

Nice, but like I said, I need a workbench and storage and the Milwaukee 60 inch bench really makes everything perfect. It’s an all in one, I have yet to found a box like that which offers the same features.

On topic, I got this set that I found on sale, that should be good right.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.Mix-Combo-Wrench-Set-(34-Piece).1000775129.html

Those are not going to be adequate. You will need at least a 19mm and maybe a 21, 22 and possibly larger. The 19mm is quite common but to remove the oil fill bolt on many manual transmissions, you need a 21, 22 or 24mm. You usually won’t get a socket wrench and socket in there, only a wrench.

Most Japanese cars use 8, 10, 12, 14, 17 and 19 almost everywhere with the larger sizes for special uses. European cars use 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, and 19 commonly. American cars are a bit more unpredictable.

Went with this one instead but it doesn’t contain the ones you said mostly, 19 and up. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.Mix-Combo-Wrench-Set-(34-Piece).1000775129.html

I mean, I guess I’ll buy additional ones I nee don their own… this is why I hate wrenches. Lol. Sockets are so great while a wrench you can’t just swap the head you need the whole thing, it’s such a waste.

That statement shows that this person has no idea what they are doing except spending money.

Edit: Successful endeavors always include the right equipment or tools for the task at hand.

3 Likes

What do you mean? I’m the one who is trying to save money on things that I may only use once.

It is a waste, like, all that material. Pretty sure a socket type solution could work nicely. Though I guess they wouldn’t be a s solid.

There are plenty of things that need to be wrenched on that are in spaces too tight to fit the average socket wrench.

If you’re only going to use a wrench once, you probably don’t need the tool chest at all. :wink:

Listen I might just be clueless as some say I will find that I need them, I plan to do everything I can on my car in my garage. With the work I done and in my engine bay it wasn’t that cramped to require a wrench.

I got the husky set as a base, if I ever need bigger ones I guess I will just buy them at the unit, I can’t seem to find any with the bigger ones in them.

And trust me, I need that tool chest.

Well here’s the wrench thats a socket.

https://store.snapon.com/Open-End-inches-chrome-26-pc-3-8-Drive-SAE-Open-End-Crowfoot-Wrench-Set-P631835.aspx

He doesn’t need a 19 mm if the set has a 3/4".

I keep my metric wrenches all in one drawer of my tool chest (organized in the pouches) and my SAE in another drawer. It’s a matter of preference, but it would drive me crazy trying to switch between the metric drawer and pick out of the SAE drawer for one particular size. I prefer full sets. To me it makes life a whole lot easier.

For the record, I have separate pouch sets for the box/opens, the line wrenches, the stubbies, etc. etc. etc. They’re all organized in their appropriate drawer.

The pouches are not in lieu of storage or a workbench. They’re in the tool chest drawers. My workbench is separate, 2X2" & 2X3" steel angle iron legs & structure with 3/4" plywood tops that are covered with 1/4" plywood held on by small wood screws for easy replacement of the surfaces. The surfaces get pretty beat up with use, and it’s always nice to have a good clean hole-free surface to work on.

If your mechanical tasks are so limited that you do not need any wrenches then I have to wonder why you spent 800 bucks on a tool box.

2 Likes

I find myself puzzled by anyone thinking they need an $800 toolbox and claiming that wrenches are a waste. No disrespect meant to the OP, but those comments combined with his others makes me wonder if he has actually done much work on cars. I cannot in my wildest imagination envision anyone who works on cars considering wrenches to be a waste. And when I answered the original question of whether wrenches were actually needed, the OP claimed to already have most of the tools on my list.

In short, this thread is entirely illogical. The OP seems to contradict himself repeatedly.
Sorry, I mean no disrespect, but something just isn’t right here.

2 Likes