Wrecked 2009 Mazda3 Hatchback

My brand new 2009 Mazda3 got T-boned and the offender ran after the crash. The car looks to be in bad shape. But may be able to be repaired. (dont know yet) How can I be sure that the repair facility will use brand new genuine mazda parts? Also, if you have any other tips about dealing with a brand new (wrecked) car, please let me know. Thanks everyone!

If the car was 3 years old, they would NEVER fix it. So why fix it now?? Demand a new car, a demo, something besides a major repair job…

If they can’t afford to buy the parts, they are genuine Mazda parts. Depending upon when the last redesign was, you may or may not have parts readily available. You will have other problems with the way the car is put together when it is done. Check all electrical connections that you can see and make sure they install and tighten all the bolts to the seats and belts. After a car has been whacked, it will be quite a bit of work to get everything lined up, so it won’t really matter if genuine Mazda parts are used. Some insurance companies will make you pay the difference if you insist on genuine stuff.

It’s Going To Take Very Extensive Damage To Total An 09.
Insurance companies aren’t very emotional. To them it’s dollars and cents.
Are there any wrinkles in the roof? Is the opposite side of the car straight?
Problem solved if it’s totalled.

Anyhow, if not I would be inclined to have this car taken to a quality Mazda Dealer that has its own Mazda body shop attached. How about the one you bought the car from? As the owner, you get to decide where to repair it. Dealers are more likely to want to use and sell parts from their own parts departments. They should also be more knowledgeable concerning your car. Who could get “dealer only parts” faster? Should they decide to repair it, ask to see the parts after they are ordered and before they are installed. Check the packaging and labeling if you’d like. Be adamant about the use of genuine parts (this car is under warranty) while talking to everyone if you have to have it repaired and keep it.

Here’s a thought. This will no doubt cost you something (but you’ve used the car for a while and put on miles), but hit-and-runs are usually not a win-win situation. The dealer I worked for (I’ve managed a Mazda dealer body shop and parts department) had a body shop, parts department, a new car department and a used car department. Once in a while, with very new wrecked cars, owners would settle with the insurance company for repairs. The car got traded-in, in wrecked condition, with the insurance paying to repair it. The owner went to the new car department and drove off in a brand new car, no waiting for back-ordered parts, no rental car, no worrying how it would turn out, no problem with diminished value later on, full warranty again, etcetera.

The dealer got a car to repair for their body shop, parts to sell from their parts department, a used car trade-in for their lot (repaired at an “internal” discount), and a new car sale for their new car department. To your advantage, business is down in some locations. You may need to run this by a General Manager or the Owner and see if they’ll work with you. Be upfront with the insurance agent and see if they’ll work with you. Negotiate. It might cost you more than you are willing to shell out or may run into other snags. It’s just a thought. I’ve seen it work.

Be adamant about the use of genuine parts (this car is under warranty) while talking to everyone, if you have to have it repaired and keep it.

Talk to us, Richard.

Richard, Are You Still With Us?

If the car were mine and it was hit as bad as portrayed I would want the insurance company to total it. The car has taken an immediate and serious hit in value just from the collision and there could be all kinds of underlying problems in regards to the floor pan, subframes, etc.

In OK if the rule of thumb is that if the repair costs meet or exceed 60% of the actual value of the car (not KBB, etc.) they will total it out.
The insurance on my home works the same way. If a fire damages the home and the repairs meet 60% of the appraised value they total the house.

I Agree With You There. Sometimes When It Is Very Close To Being A Total, The Owners Wishes Can Have A Little Influence.

A problem with that is that the settlement generally falls far short of replacing the car with a new one, sometimes shockingly so. Also, I have noticed that the general public often perceives a car as being a total when it really isn’t even close. We don’t know if this car suffered any mechanical damage in addition to body damage. That can help total it. The fact that it is a “valuable” 2009 gives a lot of room for repairs.