Would you drive to canada for a cheaper car?

I am an Australia who bought a car in the US in ARIZONA and driving around the US and Canada, I can not return to the US so my car is stuck here with me (2000 ford Taurus) I bought the car for $2,000 usd and it is in pretty good condition 150,000 miles.

how much would the highest you would pay for the car to come pickup the car in for exampleVancouver or Toronto?

I am thinking about $1,300?

someone hit me and there is a small ding that doesn’t effect anything but the looks at the wheel arch, they made it a write off for insurance purpose’s, the car is re registered under a repaired car that has been totaled. the only difference to this being you can not insure the car itself but only 3rd party (insurance is almost doubled at getting it fully insured anyway and if you don’t crash it in 2 years your losing money really…)

would this put people off, that it has been a salvaged vehicle?

I have proof of all the events and proof why I cant return to the US so I think that should settle the worrisome part.

Sell it in Canada for whatever you can get… See if there is a "craigslist " in the city where the car is located…And yes, the salvage title is a big negative. Somebody may want it for parts…

Front or rear wheel arch? There is a big difference in swapping out a front fender and a rear quarter panel.

I’m having trouble comprehending but a small ding that totaled the car out?

If it’s a 2000 Taurus with 150K miles, $500 to $700 worth of damage might well “total” it. I’ve seen it many times.

Am I understanding correctly that you can sell the car to an American who can take it BACK across the border while you are not allowed to? I’m not interested as Canada is to far away, but someone close to the border might give you more for it that a Canadian salvage yard.

I’ve rarely seen so many red flags in a post.
You can’t return to the U.S., so you’re trying to sell a used U.S. car bought in Arizona with a title listing it as “totaled”? Say what?

This thread should get interesting.

There’s no way I’d cross a single state line and give 1300 for salvage title 15 year old Taurus much less multiple states into another country. The car is just not worth it.

The story behind all of this should be a real hoot although I suspect we will never hear it.

And you’d even be buying it from a resident of a third country.
This question is a classic. One for the ages.

Big difference too if the car is in Toronto versus Vancouver. Canada is pretty wide.

Scraaaaaaap metal! Drive it to an auto salvage, sell it to them for $500 and order drinks on the flight home to Australia.

Any potential buyer that would agree to this would also accept a co-signed 3rd party post dated check from a Nigerian bank as payment for the car.

The car will be considered as “imported” from the USA. Unless it is old, it cannot be classified as a “classic” and come in duty free. The paperwork is considerable to bring it into Canada as a private running vehicle and you will also have to buy a provincial license.

My recommendation is to simply sell it for parts to a recycler.

If you were stuck in Mexico with the same situation, you might be put in jail for “illegally smuggling” in a US auto.

Mustangman, you mean I’m not going to see that multimillion deposit to my bank account from that Nigerian bank? But - but - but - the guy is the son of a Nigerian diplomat! And I GAVE him the passbook numbers!!! {:open_mouth:

There have been drastic changes in Mexican law in the last two or three years. A lot of stuff that was ‘illegal’ in regards to foreigners is now a civil fine. Including being there illegally.

No, the most likely result under new law would be the car would be confiscated and a fine levied.

And sarcastically, the cop(s) who confiscated it would get it legalized. Somehow.

I just finished a week of wrestling with personal and car documents so this is fresh on my mind.

Even as they criticized the USA for mistreatment of US illegals, they were treating their own illegals ten times worse. The legislators finally realized what they had been doing and passed major reforms.

I am in on a family unity status, being married to a Mexican citizen. In another year, that is, after two years, I can apply for citizenship which gives many benefits for those who want to live here.

Last week, not sure if my 2002 Sienna can be legalized or not, I stopped at the Toyota dealer in Puebla. The man gave me his price sheet, which is really neat. the oldest used Toyota they sell is 2007. They want around $10,000 USD for one with around 70,000 miles on it.

Still, if I can, I want to legalize my 2002. It has been a great car. From time to time someone will stop and ask me if I will sell it.

“And sarcastically, the cop(s) who confiscated it would get it legalized. Somehow.”

The cops confiscate something, because they want it for themselves . . . corruption at its best

It seems we’ve talked about that before. Only last time, it was in the US . . . I forget what state, though

:tongue:

@irlandes Thanks for the update. A few years ago a Canadian tourist who drove to Mexico had car breakdowns, and left the car to be repaired and picked up on his next trip back. He was promptly arrested on his return and put in prison for car smuggling, no doubt reported by the very shop that was fixing his car.

It took Canadian government intervention to free him and allow him to take his car back.

I have a big problem with the police or city being the beneficiary of impounded cars. Not many years ago a small town west of me is known to run a notorious speed trap. Some guy got stopped for 5 over (drops from 70 MPH to 35 in a 100 yards) and the town is in a gully to boot. The guy had an outstanding warrant in CA and for that the PD here confiscated his BMW X5 and turned it into a police car.

Quite a few years back I noticed a slick early 70s VW Beetle in the PD impound here. Walking over to the fence I could see that it appeared to be in great shape. The next morning I called the PD about the next public auction and they told me about 2 months off at 10 in the morning.
For the next 2 months I drove by on occasion and noted that no one ever claimed the car.

So on auction day I show up at 9:30 A.M. and the Beetle is gone. It was there at 8 P.M the night before. I asked the cop where the VW was and it led to 5 minutes of:
What VW?
No VW on the list.
Sorry, our list doesn’t show we ever had one.

The cop kept sticking to the corporate line even when I told him it had been sitting in that now empty spot just 12 hours before and that’s where it had been sitting for months.
I have to assume some cop hauled it home late night in the dark or allowed some buddy to have it.

@ok4450

The guy had an outstanding warrant in CA and for that the PD here confiscated his BMW X5 and turned it into a police car."

Regardless of what the guy did, that shouldn’t give the cops “the right” to just confiscate his car

But I’m sure the laws in that town were rewritten so that the cops have many more “rights” than they should

There’s probably a crooked judge in that town, who should be booted out and banned from ever serving again . . . somebody’s allowing it to happen, and may even be part of the whole operation

“No VW on the list.
Sorry, our list doesn’t show we ever had one.”

If you ever see one of the local cops getting into or out of that car, you should quickly note down the license plate number, location and date. Then if possible find out when the cop registered the car in his name

Bring those facts to the station, and tell them you really wanted a chance to bid on the car. You can’t win, because it’s water on the bridge, but at least they’ll know you’re no dummy, and you’re wise to their antics

As for the next police auction . . . is there any way to call the station and ask if a particular car is going to be up for auction? If they claim to not know about that particular car, then you’ve caught them redhanded again. Unless they provide you with a reason why that particular car is not up for auction

I just hated to tell 'ya, mountainbike, but I think that Nigerian diplomat’s son is about as real as a unicorn with a flying car driving to pick up the abominable snowman in Miami. :wink:

@Mustangman I’ve had several overtures from the widow of the late dictator of Nigeria. Having worked there has resulted in endless email and actual hard copy mail from all those people. The widow wanted to split $50US million with me.

The next nuisance emails are from Spain, where they have a super lottery. Even if you don’t buy a ticket they insist they drew your name at random and you’ve won a whole lot.

@db4690 I agree that the PD confiscating that guy’s BMW was total crap. That small town kept the BMW for about 5 years and I think came to realization that their small budget couldn’t afford to keep it even with tickets issued in droves so the BMW is gone now and replaced by a Crown Vic.

The small towns around here mostly use a traveling judge from a medium sized city to dispense justice. Those judges are clueless anyway and I personally have known one of them since my high school days. In all honesty, he’s a lazy d-bag. He entered seminary school to get a religious deferment to avoid Viet Nam, smoked weed, and lost his religion when the draft ended.
As a high school senior I worked part time with him in the maintenance department at the local university. The foreman hated his guts because he was lazy as could be and couldn’t turn his back on him after assigning any work. He couldn’t fire him because he was a student so…
This clown is still a municipal judge today and the other one they have on staff is even worse…
The female judge doesn’t even know city statutes and has to have the clerk explain it to her in court one by one. Fifteen years in and she still doesn’t get it… :frowning:

There’s an old saying about a lawyer becoming a judge when they’re too worthless to make it on their own.

As to the cop at the impound I told him that I knew that someone took that VW overnight and since the lot had not been broken into the number of suspects was very limited. I also told him that the next time I was going to take pictures, bring a tent, and stake the place out.
He didn’t care; just kept denying that a Beetle ever existed. Ticked me clean off because I think that VW was a '71 Super Beetle with the dual port engine and they’re kind of desireable.