Worried about dealership repair tomorrow

So much input here. You know, from the beginning I suspected something with fuel injection. It’s weird how every mechanic acts like I’m crazy when I mention that. I’m definitely going to get them professionally cleaned. I might just try the seafoam stuff though to see if it improves it maybe even a little bit. That would be a huge clue that it is the issue.

Yosemite, nothing rolling around. Doesn’t happen when I brake either so I’m thinking that’s not it. Really doesn’t feel like that either. Can feel it coming from under the hood.

Flashing transmission control module. Ok, I guess any mechanic can do that. Maybe the same one I’ll get to clean the fuel injectors.

@jwark “Flashing transmission control module. Ok, I guess any mechanic can do that.”

Unfortunately, no

The dealer can certainly do it

Some, but by no means all, independent shops are capable of doing this. I won’t bother going into the reasons, unless you’d like me to explain

Ask him if he’s capable of doing it

Today’s cars have lots of computers . . . aka control modules . . . and some bizarre problems are fixed by flashing them with newer software

:yum:

I wonder if there is something to this low idle thing. Apparently, my car has to “relearn” the idle every time you disconnect the battery. I read that if the throttle body is having an issue, when it tries to relearn, it adjusts for this and constantly leaves the throttle body partially open. I don’t understand enough about how it works to say that is an issue, though. Maybe it is messed up and is open a lot and still is idling low? Maybe because it has to jump up in rpms more than normal because the idle is low it’s creating a jolt?

Here are a couple more details I’ve really nailed down.

It is far less noticeable at higher speeds.

if I very slowly accelerate and decelerate it does not happen at all. Like really slowly.

If you decide to clean the throttle body, make sure you use an appropriate cleaner. That could certainly be another possibility. There is a protective coating in the throttle body that can be compromised by say a choke cleaning compound.

I finally found someone with the exact same problem. He had to replace the entire throttle body to fix it. Said cleaning it did nothing. I already cleaned it. Yes, I did use throttle body cleaner.

So I vice gripped my phone and recorded the engine movement when in drive and holding down the brakes. Does this look normal? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYrwAHLlQyw

Put it in neutral or park and do the same thing. That’s a LOT of flex, but you’re also stressing the hell out of it and giving the forces nowhere to go but through the rubber mounts. I’d like to see how much the engine flexes when you aren’t binding up the driveline.

not much in park

btw I had a shop clean the fuel injectors and no change. I also cleaned the mass air flow sensor but no change as well. Had yet another mechanic look at it today. He swore it was my motor mounts. I told him they were already changed out and he said he had no idea then.

If you had a bad front or rear mount the engine should be moving more than that when you rev it and it’s not. I definitely don’t think it’s a mount issue.

Tell me… when you were making that video, did the jerk happen?

no Jerk did not happen when making video. Here is another one of me driving in forward and reverse (jerk did not happen either. It’s weird it’s very intermittent at what speed it happens at. Today it seems like I need to be going at least 40 mph to get it to do it but yesterday was doing it more at around 10 mph. I can’t make sense of it.

A couple other ideas you could ask your shop about. Throttle position sensor. Torque converter lock-up.

George may have hit on something there with his torque converter comment. Try driving around for a little while with the transmission selector in the next gear down from the one you normally use and see if your problem goes away.

By the way, even if your motor mounts aren’t causing this particular problem that looks like a lot of movement to me, and I think the mounts need to be replaced.

I finally found someone with the exact same problem. He had to replace the entire throttle body to fix it.

If he drove in your car and states it was the same problem, I’d go with a new throttle body.

So, the problem has almost completely gone away. It’s still there but barely noticeable. On a scale of 1 to 10 it went from an 8 to maybe a 2.

I think it was the seafoam I put in it. Nothing else explains it. I put it in last night and have driven it about 1/4 of a tank since then. I wonder what else that seafoam would clean. I can’t believe it, though. Maybe it’s too early to celebrate but I wonder if it will be completely gone when this tank of gas is gone. I’m actually just happy with the way it is now.

Maybe the gas in my tank was just dirty???

Possibly you had a little water in the tank.
I had one just like that and it would only kick…one kick as I would be accelerating up a hill.
No other time did the kick occur.
If one bottle of sea foam make that much of a difference, I’d add another bottle to a half tank of fuel and run that to close to empty. That might clear up that prob;em totally.

Yosemite
Yosemite

Is there any danger in doing that?

nope

Congrats OP! Glad you got the problem resolved.