Works-in-a-pinch fan-belt?

Seriously ? This was a contest ?

That is what you took from my post, surely you understand that I did the Readers Digest version of what you do, would it have been better for me to go into detail that you also have to jack the vehicle up and use jack stands and then remove the wheels, axle nuts, etc etc etc??? Gezz George, no wonder you donā€™t understand what others are trying to explain to youā€¦ And I said useless to most, donā€™t take it out of contextā€¦

My POINT was that I have a hard time believing that someone as meticulous as you would ever let a belt get bad enough to break in the 1st place, it was kind of a compliment, but you sure screwed that upā€¦

2 Likes

My truck has two fan belts, one for the water pump and alternator, and one for the power steering pump. They are both original to the truck, both are 50 years old. I did a visual belt check the other day, both still appear serviceable for around-town use. Iā€™d replace them before going on a long trip of course. I replace both of my Corollaā€™s belts when I replace the timing belt, about every 80 k miles. The timing belt is coming due soon.

Not that this isnā€™t interesting but Iā€™ve got to finish polishing the car. Iā€™m only half done ant itā€™s hot. Clay, machine polish, machine sealant, and hand wax. Iā€™m sure it will rain again tomorrow.

1 Like

Iā€™m not able to achieve good car-waxing results when the ambient temp is over 90 degrees. Splotchy appearance for some reason. Iā€™ve waxed in light rain with no problem.

I recall you telling a poster that a belt tensioner should be replaced every 60,000 miles, which can cost $500 to $1000. But a V-belt can last 50 years?

Then the next guy is trying to wax his car without distractionsā€¦

What we need for this message board to prosper is more freedomā€¦

1 Like

Ah, I misremembered, thought it was the fan belt and his wife wanted him to buy a new beltšŸ˜€
Been a long time since I saw the movie.

Fair point, but I didnā€™t invoke either of those topics . I simply responded to otherā€™s posts.

You have to either be in the shade or inside. But you have to clean the paint first with clay and polish, then you can wax. Otherwise you are just waxing dead paint.

No tensioner replacement experience myself, my vehicles donā€™t use that part, but one pro shopā€™s recommendation is to replace the tensioner whenever the serpentine belt is replaced.

I got to wondering if you could achieve heated WW washer fluid by a similar method? i. e. somehow use the radiatorā€™s heat to heat the washer fluid. Heated washer fluid should clean the windshield better.

I think this idea is not going to work, so much ā€œtechnologyā€ for what effect, a slightly heated solution that is only used occasionally and just how ā€œhotā€ would it have to be to maintain the temperature as it is sprayed onto the windshield. As the washer fluid is atomized, it gives off its heat and probably would hit the windshield at the ambient temperature anywayā€¦

Heated windshield washer fluid is common on German cars. The fluid can be heated via a junction in a heater hose or by heating the washer fluid reservoir with warm engine oil.

Interesting. The laws of physics are the same everywhere, warm water cleans better that cold, so wonder why heating the WW fluid is common in German cars, but not other countryā€™s cars?

Many are luxury cars.

+1
Additionally, German companies seem to pride themselves on making things more complex for their customers. For example, this is the control panel on a German washing machine:

1 Like

In Minnesota when itā€™s ten below, you want to be careful spraying hot water on your windshield. The sound of the cracking can be pretty loud. From experience. I thought someone shot at me.

1 Like

Yeah, it no good to spray really hot water on a frozen windshield. Ask me how I know? ā€¦ lol ā€¦ There must be a thermostat in there somehow to control the water temp. Maybe itā€™s that black gadget at the bottom of the photo in post 51. The pickup point for the WW washer fluid is at the bottom of the plastic tank on all of my vehicles, hottest water would be at the top, so that would help prevent too hot water as well. And the small volume of fluid sprayed and it mist-like nature would help prevent windshield cracking. It must not crack the German carā€™s windshields anyway.

And in VA in the summertime, I could see heated fluid evaporating before it really gets to do any work. I guess it just depends on how heated.

1 Like

I live on the southeastern side of Virginia and frozen and frosted up windshields are not a really big problem here but I keep a can of spray De-Icer and when needed, it makes short work of the buildupā€¦ When I travel up North and I expect ice and snow, that can travels with me along with a quality ice scraper.

And the slush, mush, and other nasty stuff that gets splashed up on your windshield is probably best cleaned off by hand, rather using the wipers and risk scratching the glass with the sand and debris on the windshield?