Work car or not?

I have a 2013 f150 that is racking up miles fast. I’m considering getting a cheap car to drive to work but is it worth it to let the truck sit? We have to have the truck for other activities but not daily. Maybe drive it on weekends to keep it exercised. Just looking for other opinions

1 driver? 2? This is only vehicle in household? Do u have space to park 2 vehicles? Will 2nd vehicle be bought with loan? Insurance? 2nd car is fun to drive? Or utilitarian? Boring?

For many years I had both a pickup and a sedan. I found it extremely convenient, but not cost effective. But in NH we have to undergo annual state inspections, and that added to the cost. Were I in a state where I could only fix the truck when it broke, that would have changed the equation.

3rd car. Cash purchase. Room in garage for all 3. Utilitarian work transportation. Considering 08 kia rio. Truck has 1.5 years of pmts left. Wife will replace 2011 accord at that time. My concern is by the time her car is paid off my truck will be closing in on 200k. We follow all maitenence rules but it’s a lot of miles to me. Also don’t like to let f150 sit but…

How much could that possibly add to the cost of ownership? Maybe a $100 a year?

I have my own opinions regarding state safety inspections, but I’m curious as to the exact yearly cost to the average driver.

If you get a car with 30 mpg how much a month would you save?

truck with 160k miles is worth how much more than 200k? Will trans fail at 200k? But not 180k? truck has no issues today. Could blow up tomorrow. If u don’t drive it. Or u might get in accident next week. Car #3could prevent that.

Not an mpg problem, I’m looking to avoid replacing a $40k truck by driving a $4k car on a daily basis. I grew up farming so I am able to do most repairs used cars need. But I have to have a truck to pull trailers full of motorcycles and grandkids toys.
And the truck gets driven more than the accord because it’s quieter and more comfortable. I was just wondering what others thought. Been a fan of the show and this site for years

How frequently are you servicing the transmission on the F150 . . . ?

I was just trying to rationalize a plus for the daily driver, If you could save $100 a month that would be on the plus side. Does the Honda get alot of miles? if not let the wife use the truck and you take the Honda?

Honda drives 26 miles 1 way to work and I drove 30. 30 mpg vs 17 mpg would save $60 a month for work commute. Haven’t done any trans service yet on f150. 70k miles.

And the Honda is partially paid for by her company because she uses it for sales travel. So I can’t really call it mine totally

I believe in the idea that multiple vehicles for multiple purposes can be a good idea. While it will cost more for insurance to have 3 vehicles, and registration, the up side is that the truck will be garaged and probably last quite a long time, long after it’s paid off. Put the miles on a disposable utility car that gets better mileage and that you are willing to sacrifice to the bumps and lumps of daily commuting. You can let the truck sit for weeks at a time, and the only thing you might want to buy would be a good quality float charger to put on the battery. And don’t put it away dirty.

These vehicles are tools, and we all know that the right tool for the job makes things go much better. An older, mundane sedan is fine for commuting, and your truck could last you another 10 years if you use it for what it’s perfect at, being a truck. As long as you have garage space, it all makes sense.

1 Like

I have 2 cars and a truck for exactly the same reason. Bought one car when gas was $4.50/gal and my commute was 90 miles round trip. The gas savings paid for the car.

I still have the truck because I need to haul toys and home improvement stuff. But I have no state inspection and registration is fairly cheap ($75). It only gets driven once a month or so.

Go for it.

Insurance will be reasonable due to my age and record, and registration and other feestuff are cheap in our state. Gonna go do some looking at the kia. Thanks for the reminder about the timing belt. Not used to dealing with those. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

The answer to your query doesn’t matter. I didn’t feel it was cost effective.

As regards the value of state inspections, we’ve debated that ad-nausium (sp?) in the past. Perhaps you’d like to start a new thread on the subject.

a lot can happen to truck in 130k additional miles. Will u get bored with truck in next 6-7 yrs?

I was just curious as to how these factors affect the decision to keep a car. In WA State the cost of the emissions test is roughly the same as a bacon cheeseburger with fries and a beer. I don’t know what “safety” inspections cost, but I can’t imagine it could/should be more than bacon cheeseburgers and sodas for a family of 4. Of course your decisions aren’t for me to question, I just can’t see getting rid of a car over $75 every other year for inspections.

No need to start a new thread on safety inspections, unless some new readers would be interested in pages of debate without any resolution!

In NJ, our state inspections no longer include things like brakes, lights, suspension, wheel bearings, glass, or wipers. All they test for nowadays are emissions, and the test fee is included/buried in the price of the vehicle registration fee. Even when we did have safety inspections, the car owner did not pay a fee at the time of inspection.

If I was you, I’d err on the side of caution on start doing transmission services right now, and every 30K from now on

I’m aware that Ford says you don’t need a trans service until 150K, but IMO, whoever came up with that is smoking crack

I’m just mentioning all this, because you clearly want to keep your truck for awhile, and are racking up mileage at a good rate