Wop noise as car increases speed

Have a 2004 Mercury Sable with 33000 miles on it. About six months ago I became aware of a mild ‘wop,wop’ noise when the car is in motion. When I increase the speed the noise goes faster, the ‘wop, wop’ also increases its speed.

The roadway does not affect the sounding.

Is this sound a forerunner of trouble?

What trouble?

Thank you.

Have an alignment shop examine the tires. They could have bubbles, or slipped treads.

That sounds like the tyres. In fact it is so typical of tyres I would suggest taking your car directly to the tyre shop. Have then look at the tyres and the alignment.

This is probably irregular wear on the tires - which is caused by misalignment and aggravated by insufficient tire rotation practices and insufficient inflation pressure.

You say the roadway does not affect the sound. If by that you mean the sound remains the same as the road surface changes from say, concrete to asphalt, it could indicate worn bearing(s) though a flat-spotted tire also might sound the same as the road surface changes. It [i]seems

[/i] like you have a tire problem, but if it?s a bearing and the sound is that pronounced, your car is UNSAFE now, so I think you should err on the safe side and go to your mechanic ASAP. Please post back when everything?s resolved. Click here for related info:http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/626810.page