Wont send fuel on cold starts (87 Century, 2.5L, 4cyl.)

My 87 Century (2.5L, 4cyl) will initially start for apx 5 seconds, then stops. I keep tossing bits of fuel in the throttlebody carb. with same result. About the 10th time I do this the car starts and runs fine then. Again, this phenomenon occurs only after sitting for over apx. 6hrs or more.

This issue started happening sometime after removing/replacing existing fuel sending unit to inspect the fuel tank (which was clean as a whistle).

I want to believe theres a problem with the pickup “sock” crimped or in the wrong position. But if thats true, why would it work fine once engine is warmed up. I still dont get it. Please help.

Try changing the ignition coil.

The next time you go to start the engine after the vehicle has sat, turn the ignition switch to the run position so that the dash lights come on for two seconds and then turn the ignition switch off. Repeat this several times and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts right up, it indicates that the check valve in the fuel pump assembly has failed, and the fuel system is bleeding down back into the gas tank as the vehicle sits.

Tester