Women's Pant Size Zero

Does anyone remember a car talk show where during the introduction they get side-tracked talking about men's and women's pant sizes. Essentially the discussion was that a size 30 pant size will vary from store to store despite what the label reads.  As a result, women will buy the pants of the smallest size and they suggested making all pants size zero to increase sales.  On the other hand they joked that men's pant sizes are clearly marked on the outside of the label for the world to see. 

If anyone remembers this episode, or more details about it, I would appreciate any information. I roughly remember the episode being around “the pink water measurement” but I have been unlucky in my search.

Many Thanks

Maybe this belongs in the Show forum?

I read somewhere ;
Since women ( in general ) try everything on before they buy, some places were taging the sizes a bit smaller to make people feel better about the resulting size they bought.

Since men never try anything on , the numbers are clearly marked so they can ‘‘guy’’ shop after looking at the tag on the clothes they’re wearing right now.

Like the generality that women buy vehicles based on how they feel about them like looks ambiance, feel, comfort etc.

The second one down is a Pinkwater episode:

The “Husband Store” is my favorite episode… Women hate it.

How true. I thought I was the only one that hated to try stuff on first. Not to side track but I threw away a $24 pack of underwear that didn’t fit right when I got them home. No idea what size I should buy. How do you return underwear that’s been opened?

FWIW, men’s clothing “fibs” on sizes, too.

Figure out what sized waist pants you wear. Then measure your natural waist with a tape measure. Bet the tape measure is at least 2-3" larger than the pants size!

We should be happy. I’m the only one in the house that knows hot to run the sewing machine. The wife has a client that she cares for that sends all his pants to me to hem up. He has a 24 inch inseam…try finding that in a store.

Yosemite

Quoting meanjoe75fan

Bet the tape measure is at least 2-3" larger than the pants size!

If that’s true for you, I’ll bet you’re wearing tight pants, or wearing them below your waist. Many many men don’t wear their pants at waist level. Many of those are suffering from Dunlop disease. Their bellies have dunlopped over their belt buckles.

So what do you charge? I need to have all of mine taken up a few inches. I had about 8 pair that needed hemming and paid the wife $100 after she did five of them. I’ve been waiting for the others for over a month now but I’m afraid she’ll quit entirely if I say anything. Says her machine is a piece of junk but refuses to say what machine wouldn’t be a piece of junk when I suggested getting a new one. I can weld but I’ll never be able to sew.

Quoting meanjoe75fan Bet the tape measure is at least 2-3" larger than the pants size! If that's true for you, I'll bet you're wearing tight pants, or wearing them below your waist. Many many men don't wear their pants at waist level. Many of those are suffering from Dunlop disease. Their bellies have dunlopped over their belt buckles.

Well, now that I’m out of my desk job (and into landscaping work), I’m dropping all that weight I put on over the winter. My natural waist is currently 41", and my naval circumference 42" (in the morning before eating).

My “38 inch waist” jeans (straight out of the dryer, mind you, so as shrunk as they get) fit comfortably with a half-inch to spare. SO, they are at least 3" optimistic as to waist size, and more if you assume my actual non-fasting measurements. I am happy to report my 40" jeans no longer fit me at all–WOOT!–and will quickly fall down without belt. (Remember, these “should” still be too tight for comfort).

So, yeah, men’s clothing lies to massage our egos, too. (Jeans more than slacks, FWIW, has been my experience.)

I hate to refuse @Bing, but you’ll have to butter up the wife and get her to fix them. Or find a seamstress…I’ve thought of that for myself.

I was told by sales persons at two different stores, that the manufactures are adding length to the jeans because the kids want them long and saggy. Maybe true, but adding two inches to a 30 inch inseam makes them 32inchs and anyone who wears under that size has to shorten them.
And most manufactures don’t make shorter than the 30 inch.

I hate even taking my own up. Either the thread breaks or the needle when you go over where the two main seams are. I just do this old guys because I find it hard to refuse older people that need help. I’m a push over!!!

Yosemite