Windshield busted by hood?

**Is it even possible to open the hood 120 degrees (or whatever it would take) to make contact with the windshield? If the picture shown is valid and the hood is now closed, try it yourself; try to open it so that it will contact the windshield. **

1 Like

Agree! At 65 mph the hood flying open would result in damage and distortion, and “immediately” reclosing the hood seems far fetched to say the least.

This whole story sounds really fabricated to me.

1 Like

It is not about opening the hood that far. When a hood opens at 65 MPH the hinges will break or bend . The hood will then hit the windshield and the top of car causing considerable damage.

1 Like

That looks like a windshield damaged by a body.,… Try it yourself… scootch up on the hood and sit in the windshield crack it might be a close fit… LOL

When your hood breaks the windshield it has to fold backward…a lot…and it damages several items including the hood safety lock, hood hinges, the roof of the vehicle usually and any gas struts that may or may not hold up the hood. This is of course dependent on the speed traveling when it happened.

That prominent horizontal crack midway in the damage may suggest the inner edge surface of the hood though… open the hood and see where the inner edge of the hood would contact the windshield if you were to continue bending it backward. Maybe it was a minor hood blow back and not a full blown one at say 70 mph… Dunno, I’m second guessing myself.

Two theories I guess… It was a body thrown on the car, or a minor hood blow back. Neither one helps you much.

4 Likes

I agree with your mechanic.

1 Like