Windshield busted by hood?

2010 Volkswagen Jetta

Question… Anyone have a hood come unlatched and fly up and bust the car windshield? If so what did it look like?
I’m questioning how my windshield got busted because my brother is a little shady. When I take my car to get repaired. The mechanic says theres no way the windshield was busted by the hood. He says it looks like it was busted in a bar fight. The piston arm was not damaged or detached. And it appeared as tho someone had tried to straighten the hood up a little.
Thoughts???
Anyone have any pictures?
I

I would listen to your mechanic, they have seen a lot and can usually figure out how something happened.

2 Likes

I’m definitely listening to my mechanic. I’d just like to have more evidence to back up my claim when I confront my brother. Pics to follow.

If Your brother was right, You would also have severe damage to the roof also and the “idiot hook” for the hood would be broken.
Your brother has some explaining to do and reach for his wallet. That’s what I think.
I’ve seen cars totaled when that happened.

1 Like

http://www.cprautoglassrepair.com/car-hood-smashed-windshield/

Of course, it depends on how fast the vehicle is going, and the shape of the hood/windshield.

Tester

1 Like

Holly shit bat man!

OP
I think You waaay to kind to Your brother by calling him shady. That hood has never touched that windshield. A head or an elbow - yes, but not a hood.

3 Likes

Is that cracked paint on the hood?

Tester

1 Like

Yes, the windshield could be damaged if the hood let loose at speed. This happened to a friend in the 60s with a Ford where the safety latch later was deemed defective and recalled. The service station had not closed the hood tightly. But when this happens, the hood will be severely damaged as well as the windshield would be far worse off.

I agree with others that your brother is less than forthright and a mechanic would be able to determine the most likely “murder weapon”. Your insurance would cover this.

In the Ford case, the company was deemed liable and Ford paid for the repairs.

1 Like

Had it once, it was looking like … “not pretty” :slight_smile:

Car was towed after a minor frontal accident and wind opened the hood.
Hood was not damaged before it happened, then it was quite bent, but it did not actually break the glass.
I can imagine hood has to be very much bent if it actually broke glass in your case, but it does not look to be the case

1 Like

Same here, severe damage to my hood, NO damage to windshield.

1 Like

It’s from a butt, marking it’s territory :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
Buttmark??? can you say that?

2 Likes

Sure you can, better in a sentence. But Mark, you still have to pay for a new windshield.

1 Like

Heh heh heh. If the hood did fly up enough to hit the windshield, the hinges would be quite damaged and would not close anymore. Hoods have a second safety latch now and even if unlocked are still held down.

Think of this. A person is thrown up onto the hood and has a chain, bar, or other weapon in their hand. Further fighting ensues and the windshield is hit. There might be some blood around too but not from the hood.

The real question is, why would you let your brother anywhere near your car? Fix it and keep the keys in your pocket after this. He is a walking/driving disaster that you don’t want to assume liability for driving your car.

4 Likes

Small cracked paint.

If you have full coverage insurance just call your agent . Getting the truth from your brother is a remote possibility .

3 Likes

Or an ass?