Will we all use Naural Gas in the future?

Natural gas, that is…

You can call these guys, I think it was a $2800 conversion, to lp for my regular gas vehicle. The website is focused on turbo diesel and sucks.
1-877-699-9574
http://www.fireemup.com/

I stumbled upon Boone Pickens facebook page and it seems he’s really pushing for using natural gas for car fuel.

How similar is propane equipment to methane equipment? Could you use methane in a propane fueling system?

They’re pretty different. Propane (LP) is what you put in the tank for your BBQ, pretty low pressure, a liquid in the tank. Methane (CNG, for compressed natural gas) is at extremely high pressure, big and expensive tanks. Once the propane is converted to gas it has more energy per cubic foot, so the metering equipment would need to adjust for that, too.

I thought that they were. I was being diplomatic.

How big ar his gas holdings? :wink:

Natural gas will not be widely sold as motor fuel until gasoline and diesel become much more expensive than they are today. The energy density, the range on a full tank, is just too short to gain wide acceptance…The high-pressure storage tanks will always be a problem.

Our entire lifestyle, our way-of-life is built around the unlimited operation of private vehicles…Before we will give that up, we will shovel coal into boilers so we can DRIVE!!

I’m holding out for hydrogen powered vehicles. When that day arrives we can all tell the oil producing Arab world to get used to eating oil. For now…I’ll continue to pay the price gougers and watch the gas and diesel prices rise and fall. Mostly rise.

Nat. gas could be metered just as it is today at home, tax would be paid when you get your bill at the end of the month. Or, if filling at a station, like gasoline tax, you pay it at the pump.

Maybe it’s been said, but before we even consider oil v natural gas as competing products, consider that the top ten gas producers are also the top ten oil producers. Is there really going to be a competitive market between the two ? Heck no. Each company (in consultation with the others) will make a decision on how to maximize their profits and how each energy source will fit into the mix to that end. And, whether the decision will have anything to do with national defense or your pocket book, will be ancillary.

So if even if you live on top of a gas field, don’t hold your breath waiting for your gas car. It’s naive to believe otherwise.
If NG does become a viable energy source, we’ll just start exporting it for profit, and regardless of the “demand” here at home, we’ll still have to pay the world market price to keep what’s left. Just like we do oil now to the tune of 1.4 million bbls per day. http://www.indexmundi.com/united_states/oil_exports.html

1 Exxon Mobil Corporation
2 ConocoPhillips
3 Chevron Corporation
4 Anadarko Petroleum Corporation
5 Devon Energy Corporation
6 Occidental Petroleum Corporation
7 Marathon Oil Corporation
8 El Paso Corporation
9 Chesapeake Energy Corporation
10 Apache Corporation

When that happens, you’ll be paying the same price gouging energy companies for the right to fill up at the pump with liquid hydrogen…you know that stuff that causes third degree burns and blindness when leaked below an unsuspecting pumper.

“I’m holding out for hydrogen powered vehicles. When that day arrives we can all tell the oil producing Arab world to get used to eating oil.”

If even 10% of the vehicles on the road were CNG-powered, you could tell OPEC to eat oil.

Hydrogen should be treated with a healthy respect for its dangers, but in practice, these dangers are unlikely to be any greater than those of gasoline. In fact, with its rapid dispersal and tendency to rise, hydrogen could pose less of a threat than the fuels we use now. We are always going to have to pay for fuel but I’m just tired of paying for gasoline.

Liquid hydrogen?? NOT! It boils off to fast, the released gas to dangerous, to ever be used that way. You are right back to high-pressure storage tanks with low energy density, short range vehicles…

Please read http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/alternative-fuels/hydrogen-vehicle-danger1.htm if you think pumping liquid hydrogen is safe enough for your wife and kids.

If the oil companies can make more money on natural gas than they can on gasoline, how long do you think it will take to make the switch? They control the entire process with natural gas, but not recovery with a lot of foreign oil. Mr. Obama has often said that he is interested in alternative forms of energy. Here’s a way to make good on his promise to wean us off foreign oil. The government could provide incentives to reduce the capital cost to install CNG pumps at existing gas stations the oil companies already own. I’m sure that the oil companies are looking at it closely. Since it doesn’t happen overnight, there will still be plenty of demand for gasoline for quite a while.

The same countries too that pump oil, release nat gas too and the same world price controls will be in effect. I don’t believe we will ever be free of foreign energy as it’s part of the entire system. We are just contributors and will be exporting our natural gas as much as we keep here; or not depending upon the international interests. Independent…not in our lives, nor should we be.

I agree that we will not be free of foreign oil. It’s a good thing for us that most of it comes to the USA from Mexico and Canada.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/43634-pemex-expects-oil-depletion-in-seven-years