Will replacing auto trans fluid kill my car?

No, it’s not a product placement. Pat Goss does his spots on Maryland Public Television for Motorweek. The show also gets air time on Motortrend, but it’s Public TV. Except for Goss’s Garage. Real place in Central Maryland.

He’s also sponsored by Wynn’s.

But the guy still knows what he’s talking about.

Tester

How did these contaminants get past the filter and into the converter in the first place.

In the '50s and '60s ago Buick had a transmission called the Dynaflow. They didn’t ever shift, not ever. They had an infinitely variable stator inside the torque converter that varied with speed and load. Made for very smooth operation. Trouble was that at low speeds, to make up for not having a low gear, the converter had to slip a lot. Lots of slippage means lots of heat. That was the downfall of these transmissions, they ran really hot, especially inside the converter.
The converters were easily opened up with about a dozen and a half bolts on the front cover, and I was inside lots of them back then.

I never, ever saw any of this debris that supposedly collects inside there.

Yeah I can attest to that. On our old 08 Acura when I was still doing it myself, the fill plug was very tough. Half inch ratchet and had to use an extension to reach the plug and actually could feel the extension twist before the plug broke loose. Thought I’d break the thing. So yeah good idea to make sure you can add fluid before draining.

My 8th grade science teacher, on first job, bought a new Buick. Said the transmission was the reason he bought a Buick. Don’t know what ever happened to him or his car.

You should definitely change it, but not by flushing. Drain it only.

Change the ATF. Whether you do it yourself or not depends on the procedure required for your transmission. If it’s a simple drain and refill you might try it, but some auto transmissions have specific pumping and purging requirements making it more than a DIY project.

It’s a 2002 civic. Not to complicated.

But it’s a lot of work.

No harder then changing motor oil. Is that a lot of work also?
Or, does OP not have tools to do work? Or effort required?

If you DIY, get genuine Honda fluid at a dealer. If you have it done, a dealer is the safest choice.

3 Likes