Will not start

I have an 1989 chevy, with a 2.8 L v6. I have spark, good fuel pressure, have replaced crank sensor/oil pressure sensor/ECM unit/ have had coil pac module checked its good, replaced all fuses with new ones.pulled the wire off the injector put on a nod light looks like theres no injector pulse only thing else i can think of would be the ignition module but I have no ideal where it is?

Smart guys who really know this car will be along soon. However, from my limited knowledgee of FI cars, it is the engine computer which runs the injectors. I think. They will tell you for sure.

It would help possibly if you stated what model of Chevy you have.

You have replaced a number of parts it looks like trying to fix this problem. I think you would be ahead of the game if you purchased a couple more things. First, is a service manual for the vehicle and second, is a digital voltmeter or DVM. Having these two things to work with will save you a lot of time and money while working on problems like this.

There may be a problem with the power to the injectors so it would be good to know where and how power gets to them. Usually the ground side of the injector circuit is controlled by the ECU. You need to see if the problem is on the hot side or the ground side of the injector circuit. As a safety feature some designs will cut off the injectors if no spark pluse is sensed by the ECU. Since you have spark this means the ECU should be opening the injectors. I assume that is the way your system works but I don’t know for sure if that is correct.

Since you have spark I doubt there is any problem with the ignition module. To see if the engine will fire by just adding fuel you could spray some starter fluid into the intake and see what happens.

“Coil pac module” and “1989 chevy” don’t compute. The “crank senser” is the pick-up coil, which is attached directly to the ignitioin module in the distributor on a 1989 Chevy 2.8L S-10.

A clarification. When you say it has spark, do you mean that there is spark at the spark plug wires? Some people refer to spark as battery power to turn the starter motor over. If you truly have spark at the plugs, then forget the ignition system such as module, crank sensor, etc.

How are you testing for fuel pressure? Do you have a pressure tester or only seeing if fuel squirts out of the shrader valve? You can have a bad fuel pump and still get gas to squirt out the valve. Do you hear the pump running when you turn the key on? It should run for a few seconds and then shut off.

If you are sure you have good fuel pressure and indeed have spark at the plugs, the nest thing to check would be compression to see if the timing chain or sprocket is shot. If it is really shot, peering through the oil fill opening, the valve lifters won’t be moving while the engine is cranked over. I agree though, squirting some starting fluid in the intake will tell you fuel if it pops, or spark or compression if it doesn’t.

it will run if starter fluid is put in the intake but will not stay running

I found out that the ignition module is the coil pac module. they are one in the same!

there is a port on the injector rail that i put a gauge on. when I keyed up it had like 55+ psi/I did look through the oil fill hole and did see the rocker arms moving. it does run when I spray starting fluid in the intake and it does not pop it seems to run smooth.

ps. I had a spark tester that I put between the spark plug and the end of the plug wire .it showed spark

Since the engine runs ok with the fluid then it appears once you find out why the injectors aren’t opening you will be good to go. I would see if power is getting to them using a meter with the reference to ground.

I don’t know where to start looking!

The ignition module should be in the distributor, bolted flat just under the pickup.

You’re running up against my level of incompetence, but you’ve got spark, got good fuel pressure, runs with starting fluid, and assume you’ve got fresh enough gas. Put a noid light or test light on one of the injectors and if you get a light, time to take it to a shop. If you don’t get a signal, then I would suspect you need a computer or module. About all it can be if not a fuse or wiring problem. I’d get a junk yard computer for $25. Just need to match the id number on it and need to swap the prom inside the computer.

I have a 1992 Chevy Astro with a 3.8 V6 with Throttle Body Fuel Injection. I had a sililar problem… The fix was the fuel pressure regulator. When I remove the cover the spring fell out in my hand in a crulpled mess. Not sure what this spring was made of appeared to be completely rusted through. I replaced the Pressure regulator parts using a repair kit from Advance Auto Parts and all is well. Not sure how to check the fuel pressure but that would give a clue.

The fuel pressure regulator may have some trouble but since there was no power indicated at the fuel injector I would check that problem out first to see what is going with that.

I don’t have drawing for your car but you may be able to find some info at your local library. If you want to work on this yourself I suggest you get a service manual for the car. Power to the injector most likely is tied through one of the fuses. The other side of the injector circuit most likely goes through the ECU and then to ground. Check to see if there is any power on the lead to the injector by bridging a test light across the wire and ground. If you have power there then the problem may be with the ECU.

pressure regulator and the ECU are both new