Will listening to the radio in the car, ignition off, parked, drain the car battery too much?

Although I doubt the reality of that problem even back in the day, “modern” plastic cases won’t have any issues no matter what surface they are stored on. I have some stored on the concrete floor, some on heavy duty wire shelving units and some on lower bench plywood shelves. Clean the dirt off the top before storage to maximize the creepage path between electrodes…

Yes it can. Deep cycle batteries can handle a complete drain. Regular car batteries can NOT.

It depends on what you are listening to on the radio…

If you are listening to classical music then the battery should still have enough power to start the car after 5 or 6 hours, but if you are listening to CarTalk, the power will be drained in a matter of nanoseconds and the right rear tire will be flat and off the bead.

1 Like

Sorry I can’t read all the responses right now, but in general I would be very careful. On our 3 year old Acura, we were on our way to a funeral on Sunday and I stopped for gas. My wife played the radio and when I came out again, the battery was dead. This was before I got adamant about checking battery condition. Three years old. Called the truck and got a jump and went down and got a new battery and on my way in an hour. No indication. Could have happened 100 miles from home.

In high school my dad had a 1960 Falcon for a commuter car. I took it for joy riding one Friday night. He warned me not to use the radio and the heater (in January). Of course I didn’t listen and after riding around for a while we stopped at the teen hangout for pizza. Battery dead, colder than heck out. Got a jump though and turned the radio off and never said a word. Maybe the battery was old, or the generator not real great, but dead batteries are never convenient. At least carry a jump pack. Never had them back then.

I cannot believe nobody mentioned to just turn on the car a few minutes to recharge just to be safe if using the battery with car off… I turn mine on every 2hrz cuz i have a security light on top an im charging my phone. Better to be safe than stranded at work.
So I read everything but this so hmm

When he turns 60, he’ll wish he hadn’t done that.

1 Like

That’s because a lead-acid battery cannot be properly charged in just a few minutes.
That can put enough juice in it to crank the engine once more, but not enough to keep the battery healthy.
It takes hours to restore a battery that’s substantially run down.

1 Like

Just starting the car takes some power that may not be replaced by idling for a few minutes.

1 Like

HUH? WHAT? TYPE LOUDER!

2 Likes

If only I could go back in time and unhear a couple of loud rock concerts and .30-06 and .44 Magnum pistol muzzle blasts without earplugs.
Today, I wear earplugs even when shooting a .22 rifle and when going for a ride on my motorcycle. By the way, my bike has stock mufflers on it, it’s the wind noise around my helmet I don’t need to hear, for hours on end.

1 Like

I here slightly better in my right ear than my left. I think its from driving with the drivers window open for all those years when I was younger.

Many truck drivers I’m told by audiologists have hearing loss in their left ears because of driving with the window down some. I don’t know why but my good ear is my left but should be opposite. Maybe it was the guns or I still say wax.

My wife thinks I’m deaf. I think she mumbles.

I was in a shop the other day that still had an old CRT monitor on its computer, and I could still hear the high pitched whine of the gun, which most people stop hearing by the time they’re in their 30s. So I suspect my hearing’s pretty OK. :wink:

There have been a few studies on what causes deaf. The more you live in a civilized society the more hearing loss. They’ve found people living in the jungles of Africa and South America that have ZERO hearing loss even at 70yo. The more a person is exposed to loud noised the more hearing loss. It’s a cumulative. My kids generation are seeing the greatest hearing loss of any generation before them - mainly due to ear-buds. So easily preventable.