Will it take more than a tube of grease?

I am hoping that greasing the front wheel bearings on my 81 toyota 4x4 (“junkyard refugee”)will solve the irritating raod vibes above 55mph. I have never greased them myself and was wondering how hard it is to do, and what parts I need other than the tube of grease. Any info helpful!!

Thanks

If you’re taking them apart, you should probably just replace the bearings and seals-- they’re not too expensive.

You’ll have to take the locking hub assembly apart, which is very simple, but it will need some grease too. You can probably get by with just a tube, but why not splurge and get a little tub of it?

That guy oughta know!

I hope the $3 tube is enough. I just splurged at the junk yard for all new marker lights and an E-brake. Do the wheel bearings require specialized equipment for removal? I had the front axle rebuilt about 2 years ago and have them greased twice a year (they’re due)but this vibration is driving me crazy and seemes to be coming from the front pass. side.

If you’re at the point where you’re having to grease wheel bearings twice a year then you have a problem.

What model Toyota is this? Tercel, Land Cruiser, or what?

It’s a 1981 Toyota Hilux

Remove the bearings and thoroughly clean them with gunk engine cleaner and check for any wear, the bearing should be tight with no signs of wear on the race faces.

Add a small amount of grease to the race and check the bearing run by turning with your fingers. If you feel any coarseness, replace them.

Replace the seals anyway.

Go to NAPA and get a bearing grease packer, they are no more than $10 and well worth the money, you will never pack a bearing well enough with your fingers.

Hmm, they sold it as a HiLux in 1981 and you use MPH? Does this truck have the steering wheel on the right, by any chance?

Here’s a good how-to about getting to the bearings:

http://jaw.iinet.net.au/cars/4runner/hub.html

Go to NAPA and get a bearing grease packer, they are no more than $10 and well worth the money, you will never pack a bearing well enough with your fingers.

I’m puzzled by that suggestion. I’ve always had good luck hand-packing bearings with the palms of my hands.
If you know of how hand-packing might be inferior, I’d welcome learning something.

Been packing wheel bearings for 35 years…NEVER had a problem doing it by hand. All you have to do is keep pushing the greese in the bearing until it comes out the other end. Once it comes out the other end it’s as packed as you can possibly get it.

Maybe you can, but life doesn’t have to be a hair shirt. Bearing packers are cheap, re-usable and they do what they do really well.

If you prefer to pack a bearing with your fingers, go ahead, I don’t have that much time on my hands. Or grease.

A bearing packer takes 20 seconds and gives a consistent result.

It’s also feasible to change a head gasket with nothing more than a large sdjustable wrench and a screwdriver, but I wouldn’t do that either.

If you read the OP’s mail, he doesn’t sound to sure of what’s entailed in packing the bearings and perhaps doesn’t have your experience.