Why would tire rip off rim?

It is still standard procedure to replace the valve stem when replacing a tire. If it was overlooked or a defective tire valve was installed, the shop is responsible for the damage.

“The tire’s not new unless the valve is too!”

I guess I don’t know but I thought the valve stem was a part of the TPMS sensor for the $80 or so and why you need to know if it is a rubber or steel stem. So they can be replaced without replacing the battery and sensor?

RX330 (2004-2006) has an indirect tire pressure monitor, no sensors. The original post has a picture of the wheel with a rubber valve stem.

For Toyota/Lexus vehicles with sensors a fitting kit is used to replace the valve stem seal.

Gotcha. I knew there were kits but didn’t realize it replaces the valve stem too, so just screw in the new on and leave the sensor intact, I guess.

The valve stem is part of the sensor and is not replaced, the kit includes the seal, nut, washer and valve core.

Good old Route 22! I used to take it to college in the 60s form NYC to Easton and beyond. When we were looking for places to move to in NJ 35 years ago I ended up on 22 and told my wife about the great road with a Black & Decker outlet, 2 big hardware stores (Rickels and Channel) and other thongs. She went on it with me and has hated it ever since due to the constant flow of cars coming in and the dangerous U-turn places. So rebar does not surprise me, and you were lucky.

The rim has now had at least two run flat incidents. Be vigilant about its sealing ability and overall integrity. Let’s hope the tire shop has been.

Yeah that was my concern too. I’ve used this shop for years and almost all other work on our family vehicles and made sure to ask, you good with putting your wife and grandkids in here now?

1 Like