Why would tire rip off rim?

The plot thickens as they say.

When the battery in my Pontiac was weak, I just got an “error” message for that wheel. The Acura too showed and error message when the TPMS wasn’t working.

I know a lot of people that spent 30 years in the public schools and became regimented for when bells ring. I just can’t imagine having a Saturday morning routine that involves checking oil and tire pressure though. I blamed it on Pavlov and his dogs.

Had a follow up conversation with my daughter and she said the tire light came on, then rubber flew by her window, she immediately pulled into the median. I think she was mostly in shock yesterday and didn’t recall this until I asked more questions today. She did say everything was going fine and light came on and tire came off nearly simultaneously. Argghh.

have them check for leaks before picking up the vehicle with the new tire. they can put the tire in a tank of water and look for leaks or spray tire with soapy water and look for bubbles to find the leak. I have done that many times looking for a very slow leak.

1 Like

Most likely the tire developed an air leak and went flat. But it’s also possible the tire was defective from the manufacturer. Vulcanization problem, etc. The folks who sold you the tire may be able to differentiate between the two theories, based on the tire’s remnants.

Part of the confusion here I think is that with a tubeless tire, both the tire and the rim (and a third, the valve stem) are all separate places a tire could spring a leak. The prior curb incident could have damaged the rim enough for it to leak, even though the new tire itself had no leak.

Coincidentally, I just today repaired a bicycle tire sidewall leak. Very unusual place for a bicycle tire to develop a leak. Proves that w/tires, most anything’s possible.

I drove my kids car to my house to do some work. Was under car for 1/2 hr and glanced at rear tires and 1 was flat. I had just driven it with no issues. Pulled a 4” long drill bit out of tire tread. It was barely protruding. Thought it was a screw at first. So, it was almost flush. Tire was flat, so it was a sizable leak? Or had been leaking awhile? A mystery. I typically don’t leave drill bits in driveway.

Yep, a wide range of possibilities for the pressure loss and I had recurring problems on older cars with poor bead/rim seating due to corrosion/crud left on the rim.

My solution was to find a smaller shop with installers who actually knew what they were doing and took a little more time to do it right instead of rushing it out the door.
Cost a few bucks more but it was done right the first time…

1 Like

My wife hit a pothole and a 7\16 bolt went through the tire head first. Got Michilens too. I can’t find the picture, but it was amazing.

In FL often temporary fill during construction sea shells are part of the gravel/sand mix, my wife had a cone shell puncture the tire.

A few years back my daughter had a rear tire blowout on her 2010 Cobalt at 65-70 mph while exiting into a rest area. There was ongoing construction and a metal tube punctured the tire. It was flat in seconds, fortunately she didn’t panic and was able to pull of the parkway into the parking lot. The tire’s sidewall was destroyed by the time she stopped but the tread did not separate from the tire.

Never mind the ship, the curse of replying from a cell phone. I would have the tire tread checked for any punctures like this.

Ed B.

Any time a tire loses air, one shouldn’t hesitate to have it checked. I am guilty of procrastination. Our 4Runner had a right rear tire that would check out low every other week when I would check all the tires on both our vehicles with a pressure gauge. This tire would was about 5 psi low. I would inflate it up to the proper pressure. I didn’t see anything in the tread, so I assumed.the problem.was the seal between the tire and the rim. I figured I would take it to my trusted independent tire shop when I had time. Finally, after two months, I took the 4Runner to the tire shop. The technician found a nail in the tire that was causing a slow leak. I had missed it when inspecting the tread. Since I buy my tires from this independent tire dealer, there was no charge. I only had to wait 20 minutes for the repair. I should have had this tire checked two months ago.

Your daughter may not have noticed the TPMS light when it first came on. Like most drivers, she probably doesn’t have her eyes glued to the instrument panel while driving, I would hope not anyway. Some newer vehicles today will set off the chime when ever any warning light first comes on, but I don’t think your vehicle does that.

We can only speculate how the tire initially lost pressure. It looks to be a very low profile tire and the difference between a very low tire and a fully inflated one is not as easily felt even by an experienced driver.

Also some of the early TPMS systems relied on a constant difference in the rotatioal speed of one tire compared to the others to detect a low tire instead of measuring the pressure directly. Those don’t work as well when you have ultra low profile tires. It could have only detected the low tire after it started disintegrating. Drivers behind her would have noticed because it would have putting out a lot of smoke as the rubber burned through. I was behind a guy once that this happened too.

1 Like

Hey Cavell, what size was it? I lost a 3/16" one a week ago.

We were heading down to the Lincoln Museum in Springfield and all of a sudden my TPMS chime went off. I was down to about 20# and a ways to go yet. I did pull off and found a station with air to pump it up. About the only thing open was Walmart but they pulled a 2" construction screw out of my tire. Who knows where I got it but with the extent of the leakage, had to be on the freeway someplace.

The strangest one was with my lawn mower tire. I ran over about a 2" thorn from my tree and it punctured the tire. Glad it was the tire and not my foot.

last month I was hiking in WV and I’ve got a 2" thorn through the hiking boot, right next to my heel… just a little bit closer to the center and I would end up with a bloody one, but it was perfect to get between the heel and sock, only a scrape :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would choose a safer hobby, like watching TV

2 Likes

I should make an inventory of all the metal stuff capable of puncturing tires I find laying in the road. Nails and bolts are very common. Short lengths of pipe probably next in line. All sort of tools including drill bits are pretty common too. The other day I found two drill bits, a ratchet handle, and the fitting socket. The ratchet was the style (Craftsman brand I think) where the socket fit clean-through the handle, to make it possible to turn a bolt that had very little clearance above it. It had been run over by vehicles numerous times, so a little the worse for wear. But it still seemed to work. The most common metallic thing I find is wheel weights. It’s amazing how many there. All sorts and sizes.

George do you get paid for cleaning the street. :laughing:

3 Likes

I do a lot of walk-a-bouts. My dad was a steelmaker, so that may be part of the problem why the glint of steel attracts my attention. It’s amazing how much cool stuff is just laying in the street waiting to be found. It’s a gold mine out there!! … lol …

3 Likes

I have been thinking the same thing about a couple of shallow rivers we have around here if someone had a small boat and a few good magnets on a line like the ones from radio speakers we were talking about awhile back I wonder what all they could pull up

Around here we have people that do Civil War reenactments they have black powder weapons and some of them melt wheel weights for use in their bullet molds also some fishermen do the same to make fishing weights.

1 Like