WHY so heavy on the RED flags

what i’m wondering is… why car talk posted this question???

mmsamma, mshugna vwfueldoor etc etc etc go away!

Welcome back to:

Why we flag stupid responses

Our next contestant is:

Actually, I kinda agree.

Cartalk allows some divisive subjects (global warming, peak oil, and others). I was always under the impression that cursing/personal attacks were verboten, but picking apart a weak idea was within bounds.

But frequently, when I DO take on a weak argument, I find my post deleted. Example: there was a “Why aren’t loud Harleys ticketed?” post, where a poster mentioned “airplane noise” as unacceptable. I then asked him if they put up a new airport right next to his house, or did he purchase a house, next to an airport, w/o doing the necessary homework. (Attacking an argument, not a person, right?)

Needless to say, post removed.

Posts either need to be removed only for profanity/personal attacks, etc, OR there needs to be a “no controversial subjects” policy.

I think you will find this site is self-governed. I doubt the Car Talk lackeys are deleting your posts. So such a policy would probably not help. Also, you never can tell what will offend some people. Sometimes an attack on a position can be offensive without being personal. You never know until the post is replied to or removed.

It will come as no suprise to most of you that I have attacked quite a few positions. Like you, I try to attack the position rather than the person, but it is easy to cross the line.

That would be me you’re referring to and if any of your posts were removed it was not due to me. I flagged nothing.

My argument is not weak and you’re skewing what I said. First point.
You said loud Harleys are offensive and I questioned if you, or anyone else, is equally offended by loud aircraft, along with trucks or whatever else including leafblowers. No answer.

As to living by an AFB (not currently) I asked what are the residents to do? Move an entire city of 50,000+ people and bulldoze down everything?
I live 30 miles from the base and I hear them almost on a daily basis because they perform maneuvers directly above me. So where do you suggest I move to?

(And to point out something; the aircraft do not bother me one bit. I’m only pointing out, and asking again, if one is offended by a loud Harley are you equally offended by loud aircraft or your neighbor’s leafblower; the latter being one of the most obnoxious devices ever manufactured?

Ok, I apologize. As a pilot, it just rubs me the wrong way when the suburban sprawl finally makes it out to the local general aviation field, and the new homeowners, realizing they’re under the approach/departure path, lobby to close the field–that’s probably been there since the WWII force build-up. (Rather than doing some homework in advance.)

But, I still think sometimes posts are too readily removed…it’s a bit of a disincentive to get into the fray on a topic that stirs emotions.

The only posts I’ve flagged are ones from what is apparently a non-user now who used to post all kinds of gibberish in regards to automotive A/C repair/
Others also flagged his posts and my main reason for flagging his posts was because his advice was flat out going to cause some expensive problems and worst of all; some of his advice could very well cause some physical injury to someone who chose to follow it.

You’re correct about the base. It was a WWII training base and ordinances have prevented encroachment on the base up to a point but westward sprawl puts many newer homes underneath the direct landing and take-off patterns.
The reason I took issue with the HD comment is that the local paper published several complaints in the “Letters to the Editor” section in which some complained about loud motorcycles.

After looking their names up in the phonebook I found that both of them lived right underneath the pattern for the supersonic T-38 trainers, which are equipped with twin afternburning jet engines. It baffled me that someone could complain about a few minutes of loud motorcycle when the jet noise goes on at times from sunrise to 10 o’clock at night. The night flying is not as prevalent as it used to be but at one time they were even known to fly until 1 in the morning.

On a side note, I worked for a Nissan dealer under this pattern and a T-38 went down after takeoff late one aftetnoon. Talk about noise! The first boom was the canopy blowing off and both pilots coming out and the next boom was when the plane hit about a 1/4 mile just east of us. One civilian slightly burned and 4 or 5 houses burned but nothing too major.
We watched this one go in nose first and it almost hit the new Wal Mart which was under construction at the time.
(Not the pilots fault; turbine explosion leading to locked controls during a steep left bank. They only had a second to decide whether to get out.)