Why my question was deleted?

Hi

I posted a question two hours ago and someone deleted it.

I just want to know why???

Ask Again !
It Will Either Get Deleted Again Or You’ll Get Some Answers.

You mean the question of why it got deleted is more important than the question you asked ?

CSA

You’re only trying to sell your product, for which this chat room is NOT intended.
I answered you first post and it went by-by too.

I already have that software…
it’s called pencil and paper.
No batteries needed and a life long lasting record of all maintainence information written therein.

@common sense answer

Ok. I will ask again and I’ll try to redefine my question not to look like I want to sell something.

@ken green
I cant sell my product because it is free. I don’t have any advertising or affiliate program on my site.

All I want is to get some advise from people who want to use that kind of software; to get some feedback on what features to include in application.
If you want to use paper and pencil that is your choice and for me it is good to know that not everybody is willing to use this kind of apps.

Anyway, thanks for answers

But most “free” products come with a caveat to buy something more later ( or pay s&h now ).

–Nothing is free.–

ie:
– free software only does X and if you want it to do A B or C you have to buy the update.
– free software includes spyware so other companies get your info.
– with free software you end up on some perpetual spam mailing list you can’t undo.

If they haven’t deleted this post yet you might get some input now.

I think it would be pretty hard for them to figure out which are really free, and which are scams/hidden advertisements. So I think they’re right to delete posts directing us to sites pushing software, free or not.

@ken%20green

In general you are right about 99%. But there is a free software on internet, created by community or some individual, without spam or spyware. On example this forum we use now is Vanilla Forum and it is free to install on any site you like free of charge. It has no spyware, no spam, etc.

I’m not approving if someone is doing like you said in examples 2 and 3. There is no excuse when someone is spamming or creating spyware. But I don’t understand why you have a problem with the first one:

“free software only does X and if you want it to do A B or C you have to buy the update.”

If X is finishing your job, you don’t have to buy upgrade, so it is free.

For now my software only have fuel tracking in it. I don’t spam, and it isn’t spyware for sure. I created this software for my self and if someone else would like to use it it is ok with me. If not I’m fine with that too.

I didn’t yet create pro version. I want to create it but I need to speak with users about features they would like to have in it. Either, to be honest, I didn’t decide will the pro version will be free or not. That depends on many things.

Explanation about deleting post I received on email is:

“we don’t permit this sort of solicitation on our site”

So if that is against site policy, I will not ask that questions again here and I will look for them on other places.

Cheers guys

But I don’t understand why you have a problem with the first one:

Because now you’re asking the cyberbabes to validate every single piece of software/product that someone posts on this website. That takes time. So a good way to keep the spam out is to ban all product enforcements. I think it’s a fair policy.

There used to be a column in Scientific American called ‘Computer Creations’ back in the '80s.
That was my introduction to neat things like fractal graphics.
I would write simple programs based on the algorithms in the articles in BASIC or assembly.
I’d try to share them in the BBS world and later the internet.
I got tired of the snippy messages I get from people demanding the source code and acting like they’re doing me a favor.

It’s more sensible to share your creations with a circle of friends.
Much easier these days with things like Facebook.

Fractal Equations in assembly??? Basic was hard enough since it’s NOT a very good language for Math.

At that time frame I would have used Fortran or Pascal. Now - C

“Fractal Equations in assembly???”

That’s not what I said. There were other concepts that relied on very simple math/logic and lots of repetition.

I used the programs that were freely available to me. I’m a hobbyist, not a professional programmer.
In college I did Fortran with the punch cards.

In college I did Fortran with the punch cards.

So did I…

I wrote a program a few years ago in Fractal equations. Just by tweaking the input parameters just a little the graphics changed drastically.

Are you familiar with Fractint?
http://www.fractint.org/

Yup…It’s pretty cool.

There was a special on Nova about Fractal equations. If you get a chance you should watch it.

In general you are right about 99%. But there is a free software on internet, created by community or some individual, without spam or spyware. On example this forum we use now is Vanilla Forum and it is free to install on any site you like free of charge. It has no spyware, no spam, etc.

Right, that is OPEN SOURCE. The operative word being SOURCE. Are you willing to provide the source code for your free app? If not, there is only one reason- at some point you probably want to sell it. Soliciting early adopters with a free version of the app is a common method for reeling in future customers…

The amazing thing about fractals is how simple the equations actually are. I also remember messing around with fractint back in the day. That brings back some memories! The waning days of the “turbo” 286…

There is free non-opensource out there too. Orbiter is a classic example. The designer released enough code for people to make addon vehicles for it, but the core code is closed and will remain so. He also has said repeatedly that he never plans to sell it, and he’s been updating it for 10 years without charging for it, so he’s likely to keep his word. He’s keeping the core closed source as a measure of control so that people don’t screw with the basic mechanics.

Take a simple fractal equation…and by just tweaking the parameters one way and you create an image of a tree…tweak it another and it looks like a brain. I studied it about 3 weeks and had to write a few programs with fractal equations when I got my MS in Applied Mathematics.

When it comes to plugging products we use a pretty broad definition. We can’t tell whether anything is legit or not. We’ve let debates about Amsoil, water-for-fuel, and some other gimmicks go on so they can live or die in the “marketplace of ideas,” but it’s usually pretty clear when someone is promoting their own stuff.