Why keep a car not worth fixing?

Those aren’t mini pickups.
These are:

The Mini Pick-up was introduced in 1960 alongside the Van to give tradespeople and craftsmen a helping hand. A chrome grille was never part of the equation.

Luxury was a stranger to the Pick-up. The tailgate folded down to create a level loading surface and the body could be ordered with a tarpaulin and hoops as an option.

The 1.20-metre-long load bay was a useful thing, especially when the owner had bulky or dirty goods to move around. The Pick-up retained its external door hinges until the end of production in 1981.

:wink:

3 Likes

… and then there was this late-60s vintage Subaru mini truck:

1 Like

Until next summer when you have to pour another 20 grand into it to keep it running. :wink:

In seriousness, the thread’s about cars that just sit and don’t get fixed. If you’re fixing up an old classic to drive it, that’s another story and requires us to more precisely define “worth fixing.”

From a pure monetary standpoint, owning more than one car per simultaneous driver doesn’t make sense at all. My summer toy-car makes no financial sense. It costs me money, takes up space in my garage, and doesn’t add any economic value to my life in the form of transportation to work, because my daily driver can handle that chore by itself.

But it’s a hobby. If hobbies start making you money, they’re no longer hobbies. They’re jobs. Hobbies are not supposed to make economic sense.

I love everything to do with mechanics, electronics, and tinkering. I would have a car or truck in my garage or driveway just to tinker with. I might take a perfectly running engine or transmission apart just to ponder and appreciate the machining and functionality of the set up.