Is it worth it?

The transmission went out on our 1994 Town and Country today and after thinking about all of the major parts that have been replaced it’s hard to let it go. The engine has been replaced as well as some other major parts like the starter, alternator, water pump, radiator, belts, struts, sensor, drums, rotors…and a few other things. Is it worth fixing? It has gone all over the country and part of Canada and it drives great! It has been a sad day today since the transmission went out.

This is really hard because it’s at a mechanic shop that I am unfamiliar with and my mechanic is out of town.

Any thoughts?

and the repair show said they would hold it for a week while we decide if we want to repair it or scrap it.

If you were willing to replace the engine why is the transmission such a difficult decision?

“Is it worth fixing?” Only you can decide.

Why don’t you wait until your mechanic gets back and let him evaluate the transmission?

Pay the unfamiliar mechanic for his time and have the vehicle towed to your regular mechanic. See what he says and then decide.

Sometimes a quality machine is worth it’s “extra” cost.

If the undercarriage isn’t rusted and the body is structurally sound, then it’s probably worth repairing or replacing the transmission. In my opinion, your best bet for transmission work is an independent transmission shop.

i think it’s worth fixing at this point. i thought that the previous owner had repelaced the transmission twice and I was concerned that there was a problem. I found out last night that it was never changed and actually made it 187,000. The van itself has a lot of mileage by the engine has just over 100,000. Now that I know that it’s only had one transmission I’m keen on getting it fixed.

the paint job is hideous but the structure is still good. the roof has a little rust but it’s not terribly bad yet.

my mechanic does call it a miracle van.

For his paycheck too :slight_smile:

If replaceing tranny get a used one, spend least possible.

If you are willing to keep it for at least 3 or 4 years, then it might make sense.

I had a 92 Plymouth minivan, essentially the same car, probably the best vehicle I ever owned, great seating position for ALL the passengers, unlike the newer models.

Thanks to everyone. We are going to try our best to get it fixed! It didn’t go this far to have a transmission stop it. Considering all the serious stuff is replaced, why not?

It’s time to stop being sentimental and take a more accounting approach. Anything you spent on the vehicle in the past is a “sunk cost”, and has little bearing on whether to keep it.

First, get an accurate estimate by a competent mechanic as to what the car actually needs.

I can’t figure why a 1994 model car needed a new engine if it was well maintained.

Having said that, if it needs a transmission at that age and mileage, a good used transmission form a wrecking yard would be my choice. A rebuild would cost $2500-$4500, depending where you got it.

That would defintely be the last MAJOR item I would put into it.

If you have kept track of all those repairs in terms of dollars per year you will see a pattern.

With all the major components replaced, you might get a few more years out of it and spend no more than the national average of $1200 per year on maintenance, repairs and tires.

Good luck!