Why does our Oldsmobile quit?

Hello all! I have come here to seek help because this car has left me clueless. My grandfather owns a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera V6 with only 44,000 miles on it. Its sort of an extra car and doesnt get driven much. A while ago, when I was driving it, it quit for no reason so I pulled over and it started right away with NO problems and kept on going like nothing happens. Now, it has gotten worse and will only go maybe 1/2 a mile or less without quitting. What in the world in causing this? Thoughts?

My first guess is a clogged fuel filter, and perhaps the fuel pump is going bad.

First thing I replaced was the fuel filter…

Did you check the fuel pressure?

Is there a check engine light?

One things that can cause this is a problem with the crankshaft position sensor or its wiring.

My grandfather had a machanic check it out and replaced a bunch of sensors. I have NOT checked the fuel pressure. I smell gas after it quits if that helps…

Smell gas? You may have a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Locate it and remove the hose. If fuel runs out, replace the regulator.

This game doesn’t work out well if you don’t tell everyone everything you can up front. Why was the fuel filter the first thing you did? Well, for the same reason someone here mentioned it first. Then the crank sensor? And now we hear that a “bunch of sensors” were replaced.

See, the first thing you or any mechanics do is going to be the first things you get here. So gather up all of the info that you have about what’s been tested and replaced and post it. Otherwise it turns into a big, complicated waste of time.