Why does my 99 honda civic keep dying?

Some days, maybe once or twice a week, my car will not start. On these days, this may happen several times. Always have to wait a few minutes before it will finally start. Other times I can be driving down the highway and it will just die. Always starts back up though. I have changed the spark plugs and wires, the fuel filter and the O2 sensor.

Why did you change the Oxygen sensor? I hope you are not swapping out expensive parts blindly.

We need to know more about the “not starting” symptoms. Does nothing happen or does the engine turn but won’t get going?

My friend had a very similar problem with 95 civic, it was the distributor.

At this point, all we know is that it won’t start. We don’t know if nothing happens when the key is turned, or if the engine turns and won’t start. How do you know this is “very similar” to your friend’s problem?

Your heart is in the right place, but I don’t think we know enough to compare this to anything. It could be a clogged air filter for all we know. We need more information from roncon2727.

I have a Honda, so I know of this kind of problem. Because the problem is intermittent, it is difficult to pin down. It can be caused by components in the distributor, OR, the PGM-FI relay under the dash. It’s, even possible the ignition switch fault.
When the weather gets hotter, the inside of the car gets hotter, and under the dash (where the PGM-FI relay is) it gets hotter, still. Open the doors and window for 15 minuets, and see if it will start. If it does, that’s a fairly good indicator the PGM-FI relay is faulty. A replacement PGM-FI relay is $60, with labor time of about 1 hour to replace.

took it to auto store and they hooked up a code reader to car and came back with o2 SENSOR alarm so i replaced it,but still having trouble,car wont turn over at all, maybe for split second but it like it is getting no gas, if i wait a min. it always starts up.

does seem to do it when the weather is hotter and when car has been setting but one time i was going about 45 mph and i put pedal to the floor and it dyed, justed got back from auto store, they reset codes, maybe if it does it again i will try your idea, thank you for your help.

have drove it some more, now it dies because it is idleling almost at 0, just a touch above, before it was idleling above 1, but also its not been a hot day, so i dont know.