Why does my 2010 Civic only get 33mpg on the highway?

“I used to meet or exceed EPA estimates in every car I drove…and then there was ethanol…”

I still get better than EPA numbers. (No Ethanol in my diesel fuel :slight_smile: )

“I used to meet or exceed EPA estimates in every car I drove…and then there was ethanol…”

The EPA changed their rating method a couple of years ago. The tests they run more accurately mimic the way people drive. Anyway, the EPA mileage ratings are only meant to compare vehicles before you buy them. They are all tested the same way, in a building, on a dynamometer. They tried to factor out as many variables as possible to bring you comparable results.

Let me rephrase; the 2010 Civic presents a lower profile, more aerodynamic form than the 99 Accord. Neither car is a “cube” I don’t know the formula for calculating drag co-efficient but fact is that a 140hp engine powers both, the Civic is lighter, smaller, presents a smaller front in a similar aerodynamic form, so logically should outperform the 99 Accord.

I agree that the most economical speed is about 55mph. My car is a 5 speed automatic, my commute is 80 percent ,rural highway at that speed.